Wireless Mic and Recorder

cox2046

Hello all,

My first time post here. Love this site as it is so informative!

I work in post-production as sound design and re-recording mixer for a long time but now and then start doing location sound recording once a year for feature film. For the past few location project i rent all equipment and the service is great. But now im considering to equiped some equipment.

i get used to use Lectronsonic wireless. But when considering to own it, i have a question. My last year experience is location sound in Cheungdu China, Using 411A Block 21/ 22/ 23/ 24 / 25...one Block for one mic. i know there are a wide range of frequency for select and it depends on the location i work. What people normally select? Using  1-2 Block for all mic? or 1 Block for each wireless mic?

I use sound cart but mostly put everything inside a bag in case need to run. read a lot of discussion here about SR series, with multi channel receiver. if one of them gone mal function then all 4 mic gone. are they as stable as 411A? 

Zaxcom is a brand i never use. But seems have a very nice feature that transmitter can recording when signal no longer detect. transmitter is easy to hide inside clothing, compare to Lectro SMV?

For recorder, here  most people are using SD, i find one using Zaxcom, none Aaton and Sanosax. Kind of knowing why no one use Aaton on local market. is there anyone can have some insight? since everything go record digitally, one cant expect it sounds like analogue sound, right?. I really would like to know these harddisk recorder in terms of sound quality and do they have its own coloration? 

Would like to know if anyone can give me some insight. 

Thankyou

On 3/17/2018 at 5:01 PM, cox2046 said:

Kind of knowing why no one use Aaton on local market. is there anyone can have some insight?

Because an Aaton Cantar X3 is bloody damn expensive is why!!! It is quite possible there is no one in your local network who could afford one. 
Aaton has brought out the "cheaper" Cantar Mini:

https://www.aaton.com/store/cantarmini

But even the Mini is quite pricey. 

On 17.3.2018 at 5:01 AM, cox2046 said:

For recorder, here  most people are using SD, i find one using Zaxcom, none Aaton and Sanosax. Kind of knowing why no one use Aaton on local market. is there anyone can have some insight?

Lots of people use Zaxcom recorders and lots of people use Aaton and Sonosax recorders. 

Your statement may be true for your local market, but it isn’t otherwise. Look around these pages a lot more and you will find users for all recorders and you will be able to answer your other questions, too. 

On 3/17/2018 at 6:01 AM, cox2046 said:

For recorder, here  most people are using SD, i find one using Zaxcom, none Aaton and Sanosax. Kind of knowing why no one use Aaton on local market. is there anyone can have some insight?

Hi,

Maybe Hong Kong isn't a market for 134,290 HKD recorder.

Same can be said for here (GR).

On 3/22/2018 at 5:36 PM, Constantin said:

Lots of people use Zaxcom recorders and lots of people use Aaton and Sonosax recorders. 

Your statement may be true for your local market, but it isn’t otherwise. Look around these pages a lot more and you will find users for all recorders and you will be able to answer your other questions, too. 

thanks. i do read lots of post about Zaxcom, Aaton and Sonosax recorder here, all of them give me lots of insight. but most is discuss about technical operation, hardware, i cant find any in terms of sonic character. 

On 3/23/2018 at 2:22 AM, VAS said:

Hi,

Maybe Hong Kong isn't a market for 134,290 HKD recorder.

Same can be said for here (GR).

sadly yes. production cost for sound is low and im not aimed for local market. even the highest paid production sound guy here not using it. Local dealer cant even find a demo unit for sound test. the full set is HKD200,000!!

55 minutes ago, cox2046 said:

thanks. i do read lots of post about Zaxcom, Aaton and Sonosax recorder here, all of them give me lots of insight. but most is discuss about technical operation, hardware, i cant find any in terms of sonic character. 

That‘s because this is very difficult to discuss in a forum. Same with microphones, the character is rarely discussed here. It’s a matter of personal taste anyway. 

I would recommend that you find a discussion here and contact someone directly who has a Cantar