Best ENG boom pole

manuelchk

8 hours ago, manuelchk said:

The lighter and compact the better.

Most compact model I know of is the VdB BB-QT.

However:

The lighter and compact the better.

would not be my answer to

What pole do you recommend for Run&gun jobs?

VDB's are 6 section rather than 5 section of many others, therefore have greater range between closed and fully extended length.
Lots of people use 8 feet poles for doco work, but I find them just that bit too short, too often, and use a VDB 12.5 footer.

VDB's are good at not transmitting handling noise.

VDB internal cables are good quality, and the stereo version is one of the few that are sufficiently well screened to have an analogue mic signal running alongside a digital mic signal without noise being induced in the analogue mic. signal.

My VDB has the older style collar which can be set so that the pole can be pulled out without touching the collar but still has sufficient friction to stop a mic in windshield from twisting, a precise setting which some other poles cannot achieve, and are therefore slower to use. I sometimes end up in situations where I have to adjust pole length during a shot, corridors, one room to another etc. and it's good for this. I have not used he new threadless collars though.
VDB's are light in weight.

So I guess it's clear I like VDB's......:)

Nothing against VDB poles; I've never used them but lots of mixers better than me do (and that's A LOT of mixers).

But for my ENG/doc work, I think I prefer fewer sections. Mainly because as I go from office to elevator to car to field to press scrum while following someone around, I appreciate being able to collapse and extend my poles quickly... and in that case, fewer sections means fewer collars to twist. But then looks like Pindrop makes 6 sections works for him.

I'm in the K-Tek camp and am happy with them (also have some old LTMs that are relegated to boom-on-stand use). But I find internal cables, either side or bottom exit (not that big a deal to me; probably just because I'm used to both and have enough other things to complain about).

And I find a 9-foot (or so) pole to be a useful length... though sometimes an extra few feet (i.e.- a 12-foot pole) comes in handy, but then is less easy to collapse into tight spaces. I have a 6-foot "travel" pole which is a great backup when traveling, but is pretty short for lots of work...

Manuel, since you're in LA, you can go try all the lengths out (lucky dude: we have no location audio dealers up here in the San Francisco area). Try a 9-foot pole from a few manufacturers... see if that length works for you.

And then let us know what you decide!

I'm using this:

http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/ambient-quick-pole-qp-480-boom-pole-105-350cm.html

It's very well built and has enough reach for pretty much anything.  This after sticking with a 2m Panamic that's still in superb condition after nearly 20 years of use.  I'd stay with Ambient, just get a shorter one.

On 18.3.2018 at 2:15 PM, pindrop said:

VDB internal cables are good quality, and the stereo version is one of the few that are sufficiently well screened to have an analogue mic signal running alongside a digital mic signal without noise being induced in the analogue mic. signal.

For what application is this relevant? MS with one digital mic and one analog that is sufficiently delayed?

3 hours ago, DanieldH said:

For what application is this relevant? MS with one digital mic and one analog that is sufficiently delayed?

Yes exactly that Super CMIT with CCM8 (MS), works very well, I've thoroughly tested the results using Waves S1 Stereo Imager, and it really brings many recordings to life, streets, markets, unplanned music events, wildlife, atmos. etc etc.

So on docs I have the advantage of the 1 channel switchable super directionality and one channel standard CMIT (for MS) plus CCM8 for when stereo is good, permanently rigged via a 5 pin XLR. and I use a VDB internal cable, and discovered that not all coiled cables are made equal.......

8 minutes ago, pindrop said:

one channel standard CMIT (for MS) plus CCM8

Thnx for the reply. While we are at it, getting a bit off topic; do you observe a higher noise floor on the "standard" CMIT signal compared to the CCM8 or lets say the CMIT 5U?

9 minutes ago, DanieldH said:

Thnx for the reply. While we are at it, getting a bit off topic; do you observe a higher noise floor on the "standard" CMIT signal compared to the CCM8 or lets say the CMIT 5U?

Yes veering off topic briefly, yes higher noise floor but real world only noticeable when very quiet, or pushed to extreme, like a scene I did with two actresses whispering, deep in the French countryside where the Super CMIT was forced about 4m out, and the director being something of a sound purist refuses to allow radio mics, and I was promised framing would respect sound considerations, (broken promises!), the noise floor was noticeable, but that's a whole other story.......:)

• 2 weeks later...
Ambient QX565 with coiled cable. A bit heavy comparing with k-tek, but sterdy, smooth. Best for me.

Have you tried the QXS550? It’s the smallest of Ambient, I was going for that one since I already have a longer Ambient...

Anyone does have it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried the QXS550? It’s the smallest of Ambient, I was going for that one since I already have a longer Ambient...

It's great for tight spots in a narrative, but for me, it would be too short to be the only pole for a job. Might be because I like to have a bit of leverage in addition to reach. I might go for the 585, I had to use the 560 as my only pole on a narrative and it was a bit on the short side as well. Can't go wrong with Ambient in any case, they're great poles!

I got to try a 6-section pole that I think was a VDB, it had a soft red stopper on the operating end, really nice for documentary work with a light mic. Wouldn't have trusted the knuckles with something heavier, though. They felt like they would not hold a 416, for example.

• 11 months later...

I am bringing back this thread because I thought I was set at the QXS580, but now that I will try to use the CS-M1 and the Cosi, I feel that the Ambient will be a bit heavier and a bit shorter for my intended use of an all arounder.

Has anyone test the new VDB L-QT?

It is 80-390 and 500gr while the QXS580

It is 80-330 and 590gr.

I hated the older VDBs though. I seriously hated them, and I love Ambient, but I am open to suggestions and experiences.

Is maybe a Panamic a better solution?

I have the VDB S-QT, and absolutely love it.

I originally picked it because collapsed it can fit into an iM2500 Pelican Storm carry-on case horizontally, but I've really fell in love and would like to add an L and XL to my kit. The pole is very light, collars a smooth and like pindrop's old VDB, you can dial in the tension to perfectly hold the boom while easily adjusting the length. Also (though I leave my short cabled) I love that you can remove or change the internal cable in the field without tools.

If you can get to a pro-audio shop and swing some poles that would certainly help decide. Pole choice is very personal!

• 2 weeks later...

I use the PSC elite internally cabled poles. I don't have the right angled XLR base.

The medium (2'2"-8'3") fits in my Pelican im2950 for travel, and the large (3'-12'4').

These work well for all my reality, corporate, doc, etc. Easy/quick to pull the cable out if you feel the need to have an external XLR.

As with all gear purchases, "it depends".