Adapting a Lectrosonics SNA to transmit Comtek 216 signal

Jim Rillie

Greetings ,

I want to use a couple of my unused SNA antennas to transmit from Comtek BST 75-216 transmitters. 

If I extend the length of the arms from maximum length to a 1/4 wave or 1/2 wave of 216MHZ wavelength, this should work?

I don't have formula, but can extrapolate from existing antennas I have.

Is there a work around for this, or is there a shop out there who could do this?

AND... The answer is: REMOTE AUDIO MIRACLE WHIP MW216 KIT

Best regards,

Jim Rillie

PSM

Edited by Jim Rillie
found the answer

Hi Jim,

The problem will be that the microstrip balun built in the "handle" of the SNA is also a 1/4 wavelength device. You can look at the copper bulges under the black coating and see that there are some odd pieces of copper doing electromagnetic things.  It is broad band enough to handle 450 MHz to 800 MHz but won't stretch down to 216 MHz. Basically, extending the arms would be the same as hooking co-ax up to two 1/4 wave, 216 MHz wire antennas. You'll get signal, (as will the trusty rusty coat hanger) but it is not the correct device you are looking for. You seem to have found the answer in your edit, so great.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

3 hours ago, Matthias Richter said:

Larry, in general:

does this black metal block with the 3/8“ threads do anything in electronic terms? Or is it just for mounting? Have not installed it for less weight in my bag ...

The block is accounted for with the first 1/4"  of the microstrip but it really is an undetectable difference. You are perfectly OK to remove it.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

• 2 weeks later...
Greetings ,

I want to use a couple of my unused SNA antennas to transmit from Comtek BST 75-216 transmitters. 
If I extend the length of the arms from maximum length to a 1/4 wave or 1/2 wave of 216MHZ wavelength, this should work?
I don't have formula, but can extrapolate from existing antennas I have.
Is there a work around for this, or is there a shop out there who could do this?
AND... The answer is: REMOTE AUDIO MIRACLE WHIP MW216 KIT
Best regards,

Jim Rillie
PSM

Real world I’ve done exactly this and get a solid 200-300 metres
61a09a6a79ee9e477e6f6eaa1bd40934.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk