Microdot on transmitter

Tuhiva

I've seen recently that wisycom sells their transmitter with a microdot input option. I've never really used the microdot connector but I am wondering if they are more robust (maybe shorter in lenght?) than their lemo counterpart. DPA microphones cost almost a $100 less in their microdot version so do you guys think that transmitter with microdot connector is just a trend or something to consider seriously?

Sennheiser used these for years last century, on the 2012 transmitter (and possibly others). Using them heavily in Theatre applications, we found them to be quite reliable IF you added a small rubber O-ring around the connector for the male Microdot on the mic cable to tighten up against - otherwise they had a habit of coming loose, generating nasty pops in the audio. DPA (B&K at the time) supplied a little rubber gripper tool so you could get them tighter with your fingers, but we found the O-Ring to be a better solution. The DPA connector adapters from Microdot to other types have the same issue. I wouldn't go back to them on a TX by choice, though.

I work with DPA MicroDot mics almost exclusively and have done for several years. 4 and more years ago the MicroDot coming loose from the adapter was an issue sometimes, but it isn’t anymore. I don’t know if they changed anything there, or if I have become better at tightening them to begin with, but they work flawlessly now. 

I would like a transmitter with a MicroDot connection. If nothing else it would reduce the overall length of the connector and that should reduce potential problems. 

Being a DPA user I can see the benefit of having a microdot TX but it would limit you to the brand of mic choice. 

I'm sure you could add a microdot connector to say a Coss-11 or B6 but I have no experience in this. Couldn't be any worse then soldering a micro Lemo.

I don’t think it is more robust but is cheaper to terminate and can be done quickly in the field if you invest in the tools.
How do you do it and what are the tools? I have some mics I'd like to make microdot. The local shops have told me they don't know if it can be done.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, mulluysavage said:

How do you do it and what are the tools? I have some mics I'd like to make microdot. The local shops have told me they don't know if it can be done.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

you'll have to contact DPA directly for purchase options.  There is the DQA0026 crimper, plus some other ancillary tools / bits and pieces to make it work as well as the necessary terminations and potentially having to account for bias resistor too.

On 3/22/2018 at 3:02 AM, Constantin said:

I work with DPA MicroDot mics almost exclusively and have done for several years. 4 and more years ago the MicroDot coming loose from the adapter was an issue sometimes, but it isn’t anymore. I don’t know if they changed anything there, or if I have become better at tightening them to begin with, but they work flawlessly now. 

I seem to recall a DPA rep mentioning that they had improved them.