Jump to content
INARI

Need recommendation for Ambisonic microphone

Recommended Posts

Hi. I am using SENNHEISER AMBEO for now.
However, Characteristics and S/N ratio are not perfect.
Is there quad-microphone that like Neumann KU100 sound character.
Anyone have a recommend?


 

During this time, I bought pair of BLUE HummingBird.

2018-03-25 15-29-06 (4).JPG2018-03-25_15-29-08_(2).JPG

Character is far from the Neumann KU100 but it has quite good S/N ratio and transient response.
I might buy two more of this and operate those as Double-XY.

 

Just like him.
2018-03-28_18-51-02.png

 

Edited by INARI
I made a mistake in English grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soundfield SPS200, the best sounding ambisonic microphone that I tried (And I have a DPA4), much better sound than the ST350 and ST450 (But these are a bit less noisy). The SPS200 have 6dB less noise than the Ambeo.

 

If you want I can share with you a fragment of a opera recording with KU100 and SPS200

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ramallo said:

Soundfield SPS200, the best sounding ambisonic microphone that I tried (And I have a DPA4), much better sound than the ST350 and ST450 (But these are a bit less noisy). The SPS200 have 6dB less noise than the Ambeo.

 

If you want I can share with you a fragment of a opera recording with KU100 and SPS200

 

 


Thanks, it is very interesting.
SPS200's self noise seems 14dBA(IEC)
I think this is pretty quiet because it is the same as a low price binaural microphone such as 3dio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, INARI said:


Thanks, it is very interesting.
SPS200's self noise seems 14dBA(IEC)
I think this is pretty quiet because it is the same as a low price binaural microphone such as 3dio.

3Dio isn't binaural, don't have head and by consecuence don't have the acoustic shadow of the head (Important for binaural). In other hand 3Dio uses DPA 4060 microphones (I believe) the equivalente noise is between 23dBA to 26dBA, but any 1/4" microphone have a equivalent noise over 18dBA (Typical more)

 

https://3diosound.com/products/free-space-pro-binaural-microphone

 

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/dscreet/4060-series-miniature-omnidirectional-microphone

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ramallo said:

3Dio isn't binaural, don't have head and by consecuence don't have the acoustic shadow of the head (Important for binaural). In other hand 3Dio uses DPA 4060 microphones (I believe) the equivalente noise is between 23dBA to 26dBA, but any 1/4" microphone have a equivalent noise over 18dBA (Typical more)

 

https://3diosound.com/products/free-space-pro-binaural-microphone

 

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/dscreet/4060-series-miniature-omnidirectional-microphone

 

 

I also think so.
I think that reproducibility is better when there is a dummy head when dropping somethings to feet or when the airplane flying above the head.

White entry model quieter than Freespace Pro.
It using Primo EM172 capsule.
SN rate is 80dB at 1kHz.
(but I don't like em172's sound character so much)
https://3diosound.com/products/free-space-xlr-binaural-microphone

This mic capsule can be bought at micbooster.com

1 hour ago, Wandering Ear said:

I love the sound of my sps200.  I would highly recommend it.  I'm curious to see what Rode will change with the new mic since they bought Soundfield.

Thank you.
I want SPS 200 more and more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes

2 minutes ago, INARI said:

I also think so.
I think that reproducibility is better when there is a dummy head when dropping somethings to feet or when the airplane flying above the head.

White entry model quieter than Freespace Pro.
It using Primo EM172 capsule.
SN rate is 80dB at 1kHz.
(I don't like em172's sound character so much)
https://3diosound.com/products/free-space-xlr-binaural-microphone

This mic capsule can be bought at micbooster.com

 

I know this capsule, is typical in the DIY forums, I have not bought any of these capsules at this time, but I do not believe that noise for this size (10mm). But if I get one I'll try do a real test

 

I tried the 3Dio Pro, is much better the SPS200 converted to binaural by Harpex.

 

Best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pindrop said:

Wait for NAB?

Soundfield by RØDE. Coming soon at @nabshow 2018
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgoBw8DhNut/


At first I was "meh, it is just their on camera VideoMic that they've mentioned beforehand"

Then I clicked on the link and saw the pic.... YESSSSSSS!!!


My girlfriend susshed me because I shouted that out, ha. 
 

 

3 hours ago, Wandering Ear said:

I love the sound of my sps200.  I would highly recommend it.  I'm curious to see what Rode will change with the new mic since they bought Soundfield.


Indeed, fingers crossed this is at least as good as the SPS200 (and if it is improved further that would be nice), and hopefully at a sharp price too as Rode tends to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ramallo said:

Yes

 

I know this capsule, is typical in the DIY forums, I have not bought any of these capsules at this time, but I do not believe that noise for this size (10mm). But if I get one I'll try do a real test

 

I tried the 3Dio Pro, is much better the SPS200 converted to binaural by Harpex.

 

Best

 

 

Regarding that, I have recorded that compare for SD and ZOOM with EM173
EM173 is higher SPL EM172.
Certainly the noise floor is very low. but the problem is sound character that is excessive high frequency.

 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:


At first I was "meh, it is just their on camera VideoMic that they've mentioned beforehand"

Then I clicked on the link and saw the pic.... YESSSSSSS!!!


My girlfriend susshed me because I shouted that out, ha. 
 

 


Indeed, fingers crossed this is at least as good as the SPS200 (and if it is improved further that would be nice), and hopefully at a sharp price too as Rode tends to do.

 

I am looking forward to details of RODE.
and I will decide to live a life like a monk for the SPS 200 for a while. I want it very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, INARI said:

and I will decide to live a life like a monk


That is basically my daily life! Very frugal. 
But I rented the SPS200 for a week long shoot last month, and very much enjoyed using it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×