Zoom F8n.

26 minutes ago, Mattias Larsen said:

Not every situation calls for a cart. A Deva 24 weights more than 5 mixpre3s and doesnt hide well under a jacket for stealth recording.

Actually it does. You can remove the front panel from the Deva24 and put the recorder into your backpack and hide the panel under your jacket

2 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Actually it does. You can remove the front panel from the Deva24 and put the recorder into your backpack and hide the panel under your jacket

Now that is quite cool. I heard something about that the frontpanel was removable, but did not think of this. I would still prefer something a bit lighter for a stealthrig.

3 hours ago, Constantin said:

And considering this 'remote control' feature has been asked and discussed repeatedly here, RAMPS and elsewhere (notably in the pub with my friend Dan who has advocated such a remote since as long as I can remember) I am very pleased that Zaxcom has implemented it and hope that many others do soon too - put the weight on the back/hips.

Obviously also folks have introduced remote control through bluetooth etc for stealth or convenience and we can thank Zoom for spearheading here amongst others ...

Jez

2 hours ago, drpro said:

really like the sound of the Sonosax and SQN pre

@engaudio used to be using a SQN in front of a F8 until he upgraded to a Sonosax, I think he has his SQN for sale now if you're interested. 

20 minutes ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Obviously also folks have introduced remote control through bluetooth etc for stealth or convenience and we can thank Zoom for spearheading here amongst others ...

Yup, I found the bluetooth iOS app to be very handy with the F8 when I needed to do VR recordings (as my recorder had to be left underneath the 360VR camera in the nadir), so I could still visually monitor what I'm recording (also used two wireless to send back to my 552 that I could then use to remotely listen in stereo as well to what I was recording. Total overkill for the 552 though! But is what I had).

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

@engaudio used to be using a SQN in front of a F8 until he upgraded to a Sonosax, I think he has his SQN for sale now if you're interested. 

Sure did and yes, it's currently for sale.

I received several glowing reports from post on the timbre of my tracks. (SQNmini-F8)

One US based post mixer said it was the most natural sounding audio he'd ever mixed on his current production. (HHI)

These days I just use my SXR4+, hope he's happy with that..

bag.jpg

sxr4+ bag.jpg

On 7/13/2018 at 6:54 PM, Jim Feeley said:

"The number 39 is social, optimistic, tolerant, and inspiring. It supports and encourages the creative expression of the talents inherent in others. 39 is especially adept with artistic visual and auditory expression."

https://affinitynumerology.com/number-meanings/number-39-meaning.php

23.976.png

29.97.png

48.048.png

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, IronFilm said:
Great news for the original F8 owners, getting some of the F8n features:

Interesting. Did they really improve the headphone amplifier electronics? Looking at the model comparison both mention the same output power (100 mW) and a "+24 dB digital gain" option.

So, with firmware version 5.0 the only significant difference between the F8 nf F8n seems to be the proper line level output. 

29 minutes ago, borjam said:

Interesting. Did they really improve the headphone amplifier electronics? Looking at the model comparison both mention the same output power (100 mW) and a "+24 dB digital gain" option.

I would assume/guess the F8n is less noisy, and that they're using a different component for the F8n headphone amp.

29 minutes ago, borjam said:

So, with firmware version 5.0 the only significant difference between the F8 nf F8n seems to be the proper line level output. 

Yes, not much in the way of notable changes now from the F8 to F8n.

There are a few other differences, but not all in favor of the F8n!

I don't like the battery case change from the F8 to F8n. 
The F8n is more power hungry. 
The F8n lacks a mic level output option from the main out, which the F8 has. 

You can see here a comparison chart of the F8n vs F8:

https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/F8n_vs_F8_ComparisonChart.pdf

Does leave me half wondering if it was worth it to buy my F8n for almost double price of what a secondhand F8 costs.  Ah well, the price to pay for early adoption. 

7 hours ago, borjam said:

IIRC, the F8n inputs are mic/line switchable, whereas the F8 inputs are not. That’s a pretty big improvement. 

Cheers,

Evan

On 7/30/2018 at 7:17 PM, hobbiesodd said:

IIRC, the F8n inputs are mic/line switchable, whereas the F8 inputs are not. That’s a pretty big improvement. 

Cheers,

Evan

Here in Europe the price difference is 699euros vs 1199, is that "big" improvement worth the price of a new - additional F4, I am wondering?

It is a personal question of "is it worth it?", depends on how much you use, how much you value a dollar (or a Euro in your case), and how much you need those particular features. 

For instance in my case the mic/line switchable XLR inputs are more handy for me than some other people because I own a mix of line and mic level receivers. 

Plus it depends on how hopeful you might be feeling in gambling that Zoom will bring out more/better updates in the future exclusive to the F8n?

9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

It is a personal question of "is it worth it?", depends on how much you use, how much you value a dollar (or a Euro in your case), and how much you need those particular features. 

For instance in my case the mic/line switchable XLR inputs are more handy for me than some other people because I own a mix of line and mic level receivers. 

Plus it depends on how hopeful you might be feeling in gambling that Zoom will bring out more/better updates in the future exclusive to the F8n?

So, in the F8 you can't have a line input at all? 

And in the output, the F8 is missing the +4db option.

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

So, in the F8 you can't have a line input at all? 

Yes, but you need a different cable for that: 1/4"
The F8n saves you that "trouble".

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

And in the output, the F8 is missing the +4db option.

Indeed, if you're fine with mic level say for sending to a G3 transmitter then the F8 will be fine for you. But if you want pro line level output then get the F8n

17 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Indeed, if you're fine with mic level say for sending to a G3 transmitter then the F8 will be fine for you. But if you want pro line level output then get the F8n

Yeah, still essential to have a proper line O/P if you work in a market where they want your sound sent to (XLR equipped) camera. You can use most wireless hops with a line OR mic O/P but if your client is paying rate for sound embedded with picture best to have the hard wire capacity as well. Lots of small production companies can handle double system, still lots of production companies insist on embedded sound.

The F8's main output (1/2) is -10dB line or -40dB mic level. The F8n's main out is fixed @ +4dB.

BTW, +4dB program audio will occasionally clip the input stage of a Sennheiser G2/3/4 SK-100 bodypack Tx (plug wired for line level), regardless of the sensitivity setting .. and it ain't nice sounding.

Zoom's F8n - F8 feature comparison chart (PDF)