Schoeps MK41 capsule cleaning

Dalton Patterson

12 hours ago, Freeheel said:

What did you actually do?  Was there lint building up on the diaphragm?

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

You can see the dirt buildup on the assembled capsule, then it is cleaned in the disassembled picture.

Microphones are like camera lenses; best kept clean. 

My family counts on me, I am not going to let them down. No chance.

Pilots don't fake it till they make it, they fake it until they crash and burn. 

Please PM me for details. Glad to help. 

34 minutes ago, Glen Trew said:

The super-fine gold wire contact seems to be missing.

GT

Underside of the gold donut/contact side down in third picture. I promise they are there, just can't see em. I didn't touch them. I occasionally use MG zero residue contact cleaner for these contacts.

It was my pleasure meeting you in Vegas at Firefly. 

34 minutes ago, Dalton Patterson said:

Underside of the gold donut/contact side down in third picture. I promise they are there, just can't see em. I didn't touch them. I occasionally use MG zero residue contact cleaner for these contacts.

It was my pleasure meeting you in Vegas at Firefly. 

Good meeting you, too.

Regarding the gold wire, I'm referring to the bent gold wire that goes through the nylon shroud to the diaphragm assembly (unless this is a design newer than I'm familiar with to).

20 hours ago, Glen Trew said:

Good meeting you, too.

Regarding the gold wire, I'm referring to the bent gold wire that goes through the nylon shroud to the diaphragm assembly (unless this is a design newer than I'm familiar with to).

But of course! 

It's in the white ceramic dish on the right, just the tip is showing. The  tiny gold spring is also in this dish. 

@John Blankenship I forgot to mention this tiny gold wire. It's literally a little semi-bent L gold metal wire.  

• 3 years later...

Maurice, no, it's not. The CM 060 a/k/a CM 60 T was a transistorized version of the CM 60 microphone series which had used an EF 94 vacuum tube. The transistorized version was designed to be compatible with the power supplies for the older, tube-equipped microphones. So it has supply requirements, and a pin arrangement, different from any other solid-state microphone that I know of.

Of course, since it doesn't have a tube, the connections are simpler (e.g. it doesn't need a filament voltage). But its modulation leads are completely isolated from the +60 Volt supply that it does need--and that rules out the use of phantom power.

Attached is the part of Schoeps' 1974 flyer that shows how this type of microphone can be connected to a power supply, especially the partial diagrams on the left and right.

Please note that nearly all the microphones of this series were close-speech cardioids, with significantly reduced response below about 200 Hz and elevated response between 5K and 10K for clarity when used with a windscreen, as they often were. At the time, Schoeps engraved the cardioid symbol without any special indication of modified response for speech pickup. Since these microphones were most often sold to a company in Germany that assembled public address systems, that didn't create a problem until the microphones were then resold on the used equipment market. Unfortunately a lot of people have bought them (or their CM 640 tube predecessors) as "vintage" products of a highly-regarded manufacturer, but they don't have a "vintage" tone (not even the tube models) and were never intended or designed for studio recording. Also, the company no longer supports or repairs these microphones, nor do they have any capsules (such as a standard cardioid) remaining for sale.

--best regards

CM 60 T electrical connections.jpg