Tentacle sync e + nomad at 29.97

Wandering Ear

Thanks for the replies.  More info will help troubleshoot once I hear back from support.

I was able to jam at 29.97 from another tentacle, but not from the nomad.  I didn't have anything else with me yesterday to test with.

I am suspecting this is an issue between the tentacles and the Zaxcom recorders, similar to how the denecke slates cannot auto detect the frame rate from Zaxcom recorders.

I will post back once/if I'm able to figure out the cause.  Any other user experience is appreciated and equipment combination is appreciated.

Tried as well Sync-E & Nomad and confirm it doesn't work at 29.97 (29.97DF either)
Other frames rates jam OK  

EDIT :
Tried Sync-E with Zoom F8 and jams OK 29.97
Tried Sync-E with Fusion and same problem with 29.97

Nomad & Betso TCX-2 jams fine at 29.97

I suspect it's not a signal level issue, but has something to do with the jitter in the Zaxcom TC stream, similar to why the Denecke slates can't auto detect the frame rate.   That's just a guess on my part though.  Support replied so far to say they are wrapping up NAB and will get back to me on Monday.

Same thing here, tentacle E won’t jam 29.97 from my nomad, I have the older style tentacles as well, so just jammed the old one and then used that as master and jammed the E to the master, worked fine but would be nice to not have to do the extra steps. Since the old one jams with no issue maybe tentacle has changed their software with the new style and it’s a problem they can fix.

Heard back from support today, they say the problem is because the Zaxcom timecode stream has a lot of jitter and that is causing the tentacle to reject sync since it believes it is seeing the wrong frame rate.  They are hopeful, but unsure if they can fix it, and believe it will take a while.  Guess I'll wait and see.

14 hours ago, Wandering Ear said:

Heard back from support today, they say the problem is because the Zaxcom timecode stream has a lot of jitter and that is causing the tentacle to reject sync since it believes it is seeing the wrong frame rate.  They are hopeful, but unsure if they can fix it, and believe it will take a while.  Guess I'll wait and see.

Not meaning to stir up another one of those Zaxcom vs the rest of the world discussions, but I‘d say the jitterer should fix it not the jitteree

9 hours ago, efksound said:

Probably the old tentacle units are not affected because they didn't have the auto detect frame rate feature that the new Sync E has

Likely all Tentacle needs to do to make this "work" is introduce an option in their app to turn on/off the "auto detect frame rate" feature. 

Then all of us can have it switched on, but Zaxcom users can use the app to switch it off!

On 4/20/2018 at 9:17 PM, Wandering Ear said:

Turns out I was mistaken, there is no auto frame rate detection implemented yet in the tentacle sync e.  That is a planned feature for the future.

My 2 Sync-E do auto detect frame rate , if I jam them at 23.976FPS turn them off change Nomad TC to 25FPS turn the tentacles on again and jam them again they change to 25 FPS automatically  
On the olders ones you had to select or change manually the FPS on the app everytime you needed to change the frame rate.

17 minutes ago, efksound said:

My 2 Sync-E do auto detect frame rate , if I jam them at 23.976FPS turn them off change Nomad TC to 25FPS turn the tentacles on again and jam them again they change to 25 FPS automatically  
On the olders ones you had to select or change manually the FPS on the app everytime you needed to change the frame rate.

Interesting.  Support told me specifically it does not have that feature yet.  Guess they were mistaken.

4 hours ago, efksound said:

Yup, same here, although I tried it with a 633 and 24/25 fps

Sure would be great if those Lads and Ladies from New Jersey could figure this out. This issue brings the number to three industry-standard brands that do not work properly with Zaxcom gear: Arri, Tentacle and Deneke.

Could we get the Zaxcom stuff fixed to work with the other industry-standard gear? Like maybe some compatibility mode? If Arri doesn't work with the ERX, then make the ERX work with the Arri? A Denecke mode for the TS-C slate would be great. I miss setting my TS-C to auto jam, and not fishing for the tweaker and magnifying glass to change that dial. And really, to get a RED camera to sync, I have to turn the voltage up pretty far so I get some audible bleed in the audio feed to camera from an ERX.

Maybe if us users ask real rice-like, we can make our case for better compatibility from our Zaxcom equipment.