Tentacle sync e + nomad at 29.97

Wandering Ear

26 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

For a casual observer like myself, this really puts me off considering Zaxcom (which I have been considering) to get into in the future. 

You'd think surely it is a high priority for Zaxcom to improve compatibility across the board?!

Ironfilm,

I run a Fusion and Nomad and have no problem with jamming Arri or Red using an ERX or TigQ28. I did notice today that Jamming the Red from the Tig required more voltage but it worked.

Tony

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

For a casual observer like myself, this really puts me off considering Zaxcom (which I have been considering) to get into in the future. 

You'd think surely it is a high priority for Zaxcom to improve compatibility across the board?!

It shouldn’t. Zaxcom‘s TC is within SMPTE spec (as per Glenn‘s statement), and this should really only be a minor issue. Just look at how long it took for this to surface.

I've had no time code issues with jamming a Red.  No issues with jamming an Alexa or Amira, just the Alexa Mini.  I don't recall with the newest Ursa, but they're an odd duck anyway (fixed gain, etc.), and no issues with Denecke (but I don't normally use Auto Frame Rate). 

I'll repeat my opinion that ALL manufacturers involved should work to resolve any incompatibilities.  Good luck, though, with Sony as they often purposely make their equipment incompatible with other brands (e.g. non-standard AES inputs -- however, I've had no issues with their current cameras taking solid time code). 

• 1 month later...

Nope.  Tentacle's solution was to use their product as the tc master, which doesn't always work for me.  They said they'd look into it, but it'd take a while and they weren't sure they could fix it.  Unfortunately I just consider my tentacles unusable if I'm working at 29.97.