Sound Devices MixPre Series - Firmware Update : v2.10 Released April 12, 2018

Dave

Hi All,

FYI - Link to Sound Devices MixPre Series ver. 2.10 firware update : April 12, 2018

https://www.sounddevices.com/support/downloads/mixpres-firmware

Last update Apr 12, 2018

Changes introduced in 2.10 include:

New

• Remix (-3, -6, -10T only). Ability to playback any existing file and create a new LR mix by adjusting its ISO tracks' fader levels and pans. Remix is enabled in the Record menu and is only available in Advanced Mode or Custom Mode with Gain set to Advanced. Remixing requires that the source file include at least one ISO track.
  • Re-record LR (-3, -6, -10T only). Ability to record the LR mix during remixing. All metadata from the source file is transferred to the re-recorded 2-ch LR mix poly wav file. A re-recorded file's name is the same as the original source file name but prefixed with the characters 'R_'. Re-recording requires Remix to be enabled and the source file to have at least one ISO track.
  • Cue Marks. Support for cue marks to allow jumping directly to points of interest within a wav file. Cue marks can be added during recording or playback and can be deleted, named and moved. Jump directly to a cue mark by selecting it from a file's Cue List and then pressing play. On the 10T, skip from cue to cue using FFWD and REW joystick. Cue marks are embedded in the wav file's metadata and can be read and displayed by compatible computer applications (e.g. Adobe Audition, Reaper.)
  • Option to set the USB Audio interface to output only 2 channels in order to increase compatibility with applications that do not support multichannel USB audio. Go to Menu>System>USB Audio and select Stereo Out.
  • Additional channel linking options (-6, -10T only). For the MixPre-10T, additional options include 1-3, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-8, 5-7 and for the MixPre-6, option 1-3 is added.
  • Link Type menu (-6, -10T only) providing the ability to choose which parameters are linked when linking three or more channels. Selecting the 'All' option links input type, trim gains, faders, limiters, low cuts, record arms, and delays. Selecting the 'Faders Only' option only links the faders.

Changed

• Four button layout is now changed to six button layout in the Channel screens.
  • Rendering start and stop points are now determined by the Play In and Stop cues if set. This is ideal for rendering out only a part of a project. (10M only)
  • Cue markers are now embedded into rendered WAV files. (10M only)
  • Mute now deactivates the input. Previously mute would only mute the input in the headphone monitor.
  • Mute is now accessible via the Channel screen.
  • 10T factory default mode is now set to Advanced instead of Basic.
  • Monitor button is now grayed out when Input is set to Off. (10M only)
  • The track that is using 'Air' is now displayed in the greyed out button of other tracks. (10M only)

Fixed

• Headphone clip indicator was only being displayed when adjusting headphone level
  • Some USB keyboard shortcuts were not working (10M only)
  • Brief audio burst when soloing a channel (10M only)
  • Enabling a track's input monitor would incorrectly enable other tracks' input monitors during record (10M only)
  • Transport stability, media performance and UI navigation have been improved
  • Timecode Menu and USB Drive Status Error Handling have been improved (10T only)
  • Fast Forward and Rewind were not responsive in the Channel screens. (10T and 10M only)

• 2 weeks later...

So happy for the re-mix and re-record feature! 

As a nature recorder, I set up an LCR mic array and am always fiddling with the center gain to achieve a natural spread. This can be a but tricky after I’ve just hiked a couple miles and my ears aren’t quite settled. Now I can fiddle with the mix to heart’s content when i get back to tent while listening on the Mixpre’s wonderful headphone amp. 

Heads up though: left and right record must be armed along with iso channels on the initial recording for remix to work. If you disarm left and right record to save a little disk space and only arm the iso’s then remix will not work upon playback. 

Todd

Found the re-recording feature:

- From the home screen, tap the name of the file in the upper right corner (even if it is not the file you want to re-record)

- In the file list that comes up, select the file you want to re-mix/re-record

- In the menu that comes up, select Re-record LR (on the second page of the menu)

Hi Curtis,

Thanks for posting your recent video regarding the MixPre 10T's new Remix - Re-Record features. I watched your video with great interest.

Just reading through the MixPre Firmware 2.10 manual addendum outlining these new features and I'm trying to discern the difference between "Remix" and "Re-Record".

Am I understanding this correctly : selecting "Remix" simply prepares a file or files for "Re-Recording" - i.e one facilitates the other?  Would strictly employing "Remix" (without engaging re-recording) just send a new current adjusted mix to the outputs? 

As far as "Re-Recording" goes, did you find that a newly "Re-recorded" mix does not actually alter or over-write the original mix, it just creates a new version mix and pre-fixes the new file with an "R"?

Thanks for shedding some light Curtis. Much appreciated and thanks for all your great and generous sharing of tips :-)

Cheers,

Dave

Here's the operation manual addendum (seems a little vague to me) :

Remix (MixPre-3, -6, -10T only)
This firmware release adds the ability to playback any existing file and create a new LR mix by adjusting its ISO tracks' fader levels and pans. Remix is enabled in the Record menu and is only available in Advanced mode or Custom mode with Gain set to Advanced. Remixing requires that the source file include at least one ISO track. Remix is turned off by default.
To turn remix on/off:
1.Tap .
2. TapRecord>Remix.

Re-record LR Mix (MixPre-3, -6, -10T only)
This firmware release adds the ability to record the LR mix during remixing. All metadata from the source file is transferred to the re-recorded 2-ch LR mix poly wav file. A re-recorded file's name is the same as the original source file name but prefixed with the characters R_. Re-recording requires Remix to be enabled and the source file to have at least one ISO track.
To set re-record:
1. FromtheFilelist,selectthefilewithisolatedtracks. 2. TaptheDotsicon. 3. SelectRe-recordLR.
Note: If you do not see Re-record LR as a menu item, ensure Remix is turned on.

On 5/6/2018 at 6:35 AM, Dave said:

Hi Curtis,

Thanks for posting your recent video regarding the MixPre 10T's new Remix - Re-Record features. I watched your video with great interest.

Just reading through the MixPre Firmware 2.10 manual addendum outlining these new features and I'm trying to discern the difference between "Remix" and "Re-Record".

Am I understanding this correctly : selecting "Remix" simply prepares a file or files for "Re-Recording" - i.e one facilitates the other?  Would strictly employing "Remix" (without engaging re-recording) just send a new current adjusted mix to the outputs? 

As far as "Re-Recording" goes, did you find that a newly "Re-recorded" mix does not actually alter or over-write the original mix, it just creates a new version mix and pre-fixes the new file with an "R"?

Thanks for shedding some light Curtis. Much appreciated and thanks for all your great and generous sharing of tips :-)

Cheers,

Dave

Here's the operation manual addendum (seems a little vague to me) :

Remix (MixPre-3, -6, -10T only)
This firmware release adds the ability to playback any existing file and create a new LR mix by adjusting its ISO tracks' fader levels and pans. Remix is enabled in the Record menu and is only available in Advanced mode or Custom mode with Gain set to Advanced. Remixing requires that the source file include at least one ISO track. Remix is turned off by default.
To turn remix on/off:
1.Tap .
2. TapRecord>Remix.

Re-record LR Mix (MixPre-3, -6, -10T only)
This firmware release adds the ability to record the LR mix during remixing. All metadata from the source file is transferred to the re-recorded 2-ch LR mix poly wav file. A re-recorded file's name is the same as the original source file name but prefixed with the characters R_. Re-recording requires Remix to be enabled and the source file to have at least one ISO track.
To set re-record:
1. FromtheFilelist,selectthefilewithisolatedtracks. 2. TaptheDotsicon. 3. SelectRe-recordLR.
Note: If you do not see Re-record LR as a menu item, ensure Remix is turned on.

I don't have any of these machines but the the sections of the manual you've included in your post suggest to me the following (and your understanding is correct):

~ 'Remix' to remix original ISO's to recorder outputs (Tascam dr-680 can do this and is quite useful for previewing 'something different' with the ISO tracks).

~ 'Re-record' to record the remix as a separate file (with an 'R_' prefix). 'Remix' needs to be enabled to allow Re-recording.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2018 at 6:21 AM, daniel said:

I don't have any of these machines but the the sections of the manual you've included in your post suggest to me the following (and your understanding is correct):

~ 'Remix' to remix original ISO's to recorder outputs (Tascam dr-680 can do this and is quite useful for previewing 'something different' with the ISO tracks).

~ 'Re-record' to record the remix as a separate file (with an 'R_' prefix). 'Remix' needs to be enabled to allow Re-recording.

This is how it worked for me. Remix enables the ability to adjust the faders while playing back a clip, which affects the outputs. Re-record actually records the new mix you are creating to a new file.

Hi Curtis,

Very kind of you to respond and share your experience :-)  "Re-Record" seems like it will be very useful feature when an alternate or corrective mix file is required quickly - without needing a DAW/Computer.  I gather "Remix" would be useful mainly when outputting to a separate recorder or for DAW capture?

Thanks again Curtis. I appreciate your videos and sharing of knowledge.

Cheers,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2018 at 1:16 PM, Dave said:

Hi Curtis,

Very kind of you to respond and share your experience 🙂 "Re-Record" seems like it will be very useful feature when an alternate or corrective mix file is required quickly - without needing a DAW/Computer.  I gather "Remix" would be useful mainly when outputting to a separate recorder or for DAW capture?

Thanks again Curtis. I appreciate your videos and sharing of knowledge.

Cheers,

Dave

Yes, that is my understanding as well. Thanks Dave.