Sound Devices Wireless (rebranded Audio Ltd)

IronFilm

Maybe I missed it, but I spent 20min or so chatting with Sound Devices people about the new Audio Ltd systems. I don't recall any mention of "Sound Devices branded wireless transmitters and receivers."

Could be they'd do that, but considering Audio Ltd's brand recognition, I guess I'd want confirmation from SD or someone here who heard it directly from SD.

First of all the author of the article is a DP for a blog called Newshooter... Just sayin'. No new info here and just a basic overview of the A10 line and a note that Sound Devices acquired Audio LTD. For the author to say you can now buy Sound Devices "branded" wireless doesn't exactly describe the current situation very well. They were researched, designed and built by a completely independent company before the acquisition happened and the A10's are currently being sold with Audio LTD's insignia on the product. Who knows what SD will do down the road. 

The only interesting thing I noticed in one of the pictures in this article is that when mounted in an SL-6 the A10 receiver's display angles away from the mixer... seems like they should angle towards you. I know you can flip the display but looking at them at such a weird angle can't help things for daylight viewing. Another reason to get the PSC six-pack instead I guess.. you could just flip the entire unit.

I'm not sold on the whole wireless-integrated-into-your-recorder concept by the way. I don't see that it adds much functionality that I'm missing now at least not in it's current form. Less cables is the biggest advantage I see. Also takes your redundancy down a significant notch.

I have spoken with Audio Ltd and can confirm that this is false, I think the author of the article may have got his wires crossed. Although owned by Sound Devices Audio Ltd will still operate as a seperate entity under their own brand for the forseable future. Never say never on joint future developments though.

1 hour ago, daniel said:

"I think the author of the article may have got his wires crossed. "

He should have gone wireless.

Nyuk, nyuk. 

Newsshooter is one of the better blog/mag/news sites covering production. But they have too many new-product stories (though that's understandable during NAB, IBC, etc), and not enough case studies & interviews, user reports/reviews, etc. And they really do need to step up the quality of their audio reporting; like a lot of sites run by camera peeps, they have this sort of "This $50,000 camera is OK but not perfect.... And this $200 microphone is AMAZING...as good as sheps!" (yes, my spelling there serves a purpose). But unlike a lot of blog/sites, I think most of the Newssshooter gang really do work in production. If they added a couple audio-savvy people to their crew, that'd be a good thing.

The only interesting thing I noticed in one of the pictures in this article is that when mounted in an SL-6 the A10 receiver's display angles away from the mixer... seems like they should angle towards you. I know you can flip the display but looking at them at such a weird angle can't help things for daylight viewing. Another reason to get the PSC six-pack instead I guess.. you could just flip the entire unit.

As stated by Derek, you can rotate the display orientation on the A10-RX, though the chassis orientation of the receiver in the SL-6 is fixed. A key benefit of using SuperSlot-compatible wireless in the SL-6/688 is that you can control these systems directly from the 688. 

And to clarify, the A10 Digital Wireless System is an Audio Limited product.

7 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

Newsshooter is one of the better blog/mag/news sites covering production.

Agreed, I too think they're one of the best. Maybe even "the best"? At least is my favourite.  

But they're not infalliable, seems they got it wrong this time.