SONY MDR-7506

IMG_20141012_102012.jpg

I ended up cutting off a bit more than half of the curly cord. It really helped clean up my bag not having 5 feet of headphone cable dangling from me. I think the 3.5mm female jack on the ear cup is cool, but I wouldn't use it. I don't see any advantage, other than being able to use any aux cable as your headphone input. 

For my customers who are tired of the ever stretching coil cable on the 7506, I replace the entire cable with a 4' straight section terminated with a 3.5mm TRS. 4' is perfect for bag use as it allows cable freedom as the average length reaches from your ears to your knees. PITA coil cable problem solved. 

I usually throw the excess coil over my back when in a bag.  I applaud those of you brave enough to try and fix those cables--there is really hardly any copper in them to solder at all.  For years I did a Toline mod to mine, using Beyer straight cables, but then got lazy and just use them as is.  I see them as an expendable--they all bust eventually.

I've done this, non-invasive and reversible mod, to all my coiled cable headphones.

It's not a great video, but the technique works quite well, once you get the hang of it. It takes about five or so minutes.

It pretty much eliminates the straight section of a headphone's coiled cable.

If you don't like the solution, you can simply undo it.

15 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

I usually throw the excess coil over my back when in a bag.  I applaud those of you brave enough to try and fix those cables--there is really hardly any copper in them to solder at all.  For years I did a Toline mod to mine, using Beyer straight cables, but then got lazy and just use them as is.  I see them as an expendable--they all bust eventually.

Thanks for all the great responses people!!

Now accepting all old Sony MDR-7506's. 

Please PM me your junked Sony MDR-7506's for sale link on eBay. I'll pay shipping. 

The hair thin green, red, and copper cables are painted. The soldering iron can actually melt the thin wires. 

I was always fascinated with headphones. I feel the Sony MDR-7506 is a living relic amongst the Beats/Bose cans. This was the last of an era that produced quality products for a budget. Now quality directly relates to the item costing more. Very few distinguish between quality and marketing. 

Is the Sony MDR-7506 the Technic MKII SL1200 turntable of the sound recording world? When Technics discontinued the SL1200 the resale price went through the roof. For reference, I got two 2xSL1200+Vestax+flightcases+cofin-case for $300 in 2003. Last I checked, one SL1200 goes for $400-$1000 depending on condition. 

Also, remember the classic Yamaha NS-10 story. Originally crap, inexpensive bookshelf speakers that ended up standard in any legitimate recording studio to date. 

"Also, remember the classic Yamaha NS-10 story. Originally crap, inexpensive bookshelf speakers that ended up standard in any legitimate recording studio to date. "

Only after mixer Bob Clearmountain discovered that you could tame the terrible high frequency drivers in the NS-10 with a sheet or two of toilet paper hung in front of the tweeters. That discovery lead to long discussions about which toilet paper was the most musical sounding. Sound from NS-10's coming through toilet paper still sounded like shit.

16 minutes ago, Eric Toline said:

"Also, remember the classic Yamaha NS-10 story. Originally crap, inexpensive bookshelf speakers that ended up standard in any legitimate recording studio to date. "

Only after mixer Bob Clearmountain discovered that you could tame the terrible high frequency drivers in the NS-10 with a sheet or two of toilet paper hung in front of the tweeters. That discovery lead to long discussions about which toilet paper was the most musical sounding. Sound from NS-10's coming through toilet paper still sounded like shit.

I can't stop laughing. 

30 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

....horrible sounding monitors.....

But we knew that. How they became the de facto studio monitors that represented  the average home stereo system is beyond understanding. I mixed on Altec 604/E's at Gotham Recording in NYC back in the 60's, not very musical but total information. 

I've used the Auratone 5Cs since ty early 70s studio days (daze).. still do. Most folks in the NYC studios used Scots tissue paper on the original NS-10s.

Regarding the  Sony 7506, I use them as they are, except for Garfield Softie  ear-pad covers. I tuck the 'excess' coiled cable in one of the pockets in my bag, the cable can be pulled out as an extension if needed... this rarely happens though.

1 hour ago, Philip Perkins said:

....horrible sounding monitors.....

God yes.

Dod you all remember this GREAT paper from REP about 30 years ago? Graphs and everything.

Examining the Yamaha NS-10M “Tissue Paper Phenomenon”
An Analysis of the Industry-Wide Practice of Using a 
Tissue-Paper Layer to Reduce High-Frequency Output

Recording Engineer/Producer Magazine, February 1986 – by Bob Hodas

http://www.bobhodas.com/examining-the-yamaha-ns-10m.php