Searching for a splitter

BAB414

Hey all,

I've searched all the usual suspects. Does anyone make a 1ru (or any rackmount size) 4-8 channel LINE LEVEL splitter with XLR ins and outs? I want it for redundancy recording to a second recorder on the cart. The closest I've found is either mic level only or with special phoenix connectors for the outputs.

Best,

Ben

No personal experience with this, but I saw this on Gotham's website:
https://www.gothamsound.com/product/eight-channel-rackmount-splitter

Has XLR ins and outs. 

-Mike
Thanks Mike. I saw this. There's not enough info online to tell me if it's line level or not. Wondering if anyone else makes something similar in the mean time.

Best,
Ben

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Go to www.crimsonaudiotransformers.com for all the specs & details.

Thanks Eric. There website is awful but I did send them an email. Surely they are not the only company making something like this. And it's not available yet anyway. Any other products people are currently using?

Then what seems to be the problem? It's not exactly rocket science.
If you know of one that fits the description in my original post and is available today, please point me in the right direction.

I'm only finding mic level or phoenix connectors on anything with more than one channel.

Thank you.

The proper search term is "distribution" rather than "splitter."  There are many.

Try, for instance, Googling "8-Channel Line Level Distro" and follow the links.  I'm guessing other variations of the terms will yield even more results.

Thank you. Something I didn't know. Much appreciated.

19 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

The proper search term is "distribution" rather than "splitter."  There are many.

Try, for instance, Googling "8-Channel Line Level Distro" and follow the links.  I'm guessing other variations of the terms will yield even more results.

My understanding is that there is a difference between a splitter and a distribution amplifier. The splitter is usually passive and will have some transformers to isolate the signals, but little else in the way of electronics that could modify the incoming signal. A distribution amplifier will usually have active electronics inside that amplify the signal, and thus have more of an impact on the sound of the source that is going in to the unit. 

Not to say that a distribution amplifier won't fit the OP's needs, but there is a difference that should be acknowledged. 

-Mike

I just checked mine.  +18.3 (as high as my tone generator will go) and no clipping without engaging the pad.  At least.  So these will work fine for line level.  Now these are not Jensen transformers.   I wouldn't record a string quartet through these but to send to Comteks or even a camera, I wouldn't think twice.

Oh and this is NOT a distribution amp.  This doesn't take one line level input and send out, like, 10 line level outputs.  Those devices tend to be active and AC powered.  This is eight channels of passsive 1x2 (one in and two out, one transformer isolated) splits.

FWIW

D.

I just checked mine.  +18.3 (as high as my tone generator will go) and no clipping without engaging the pad.  At least.  So these will work fine for line level.  Now these are not Jensen transformers.   I wouldn't record a string quartet through these but to send to Comteks or even a camera, I wouldn't think twice.

Oh and this is NOT a distribution amp.  This doesn't take one line level input and send out, like, 10 line level outputs.  Those devices tend to be active and AC powered.  This is eight channels of passsive 1x2 (one in and two out, one transformer isolated) splits.

FWIW

D.
Thanks a bunch for this.

Seems like a lot of trouble.

Why not just record an emergency mix if you want to run a back-up?

I know this has been discussed a lot, but with carts needing to get smaller and smaller with more and more practical locations and less and less preparation, seems logical to just ditch the back-up. I haven't run one in 6 or 7 years, without regret.

That's what I've been doing actually but I like the idea of redundant isos from the receivers instead of the mixer/recorder. Never know when it can save you.

Matt Mayer, thanks for the suggestion. I'm surprised what I'm looking for isn't more ubiquitous in our world. This looks promising.

I checked with Crimson and theirs is mic level but could be attempted with line level like Doug's Art S8.

• 10 months later...

I've been looking for the same thing, and just came across this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS8000--behringer-ultralink-ms8000-microphone-splitter

Still haven't decided how I'm going to handle my backup situation, but I agree that, at least for my cart, I want to have a true backup independent from the recorder - belt and suspenders, as it were.

FWIW, in my application, the main recorder is a 688, and I intend to send the mix, plus the first six ISO channels, to Boom Recorder.

HTH,

BK

This:

On 4/19/2018 at 12:10 PM, RPSharman said:

Seems like a lot of trouble.

Why not just record an emergency mix if you want to run a back-up?

I know this has been discussed a lot, but with carts needing to get smaller and smaller with more and more practical locations and less and less preparation, seems logical to just ditch the back-up. I haven't run one in 6 or 7 years, without regret.

I say, just run your normal system.. if it fails, swap it out. If you have a backup mix recorded, your already doing your something extra. I'm with Robert here... It's like dragging around another car in case yours fails.. If the camera fails, they don't normally use the backup one they have set up on the same shot just in case.. They swap it out. Gear fails, running extra gear for the extremely low failure rate just doesn't make too much sense. 

That being said, do what YOU feel is best regardless, these are simply our opinions.

The Crimsons are excellent for mic level. I've fed line level through them but depending on how hot it is, you might start to saturate the transformers. 

The Whirlwind Multisplit 1x2 handles line level no problem. It's passive and does four channels in 1RU.

For an active split, I've used the Symetrix 581E with good results. Also four channels in 1RU.

I use 2 of the ART S8 splitters to take feed from FOH for live shows and have never had a problem with Mic or Line level. They have a -29dB pad for Line level that can be engaged per channel.

From the manual:

USAGE: Connect low impedance dynamic or condenser microphone to any MICROPHONE INPUT on the S8. (Alternatively connect line level signal to any MICROPHONE INPUT and engage corresponding front panel INPUT PAD switch.) Connect corresponding DIRECT MICROPHONE OUTPUT to mic input on main mixer (switch phantom power on at mixer if desired). Connect corresponding TRANSFORMER ISOLATED MICROPHONE OUTPUT to mic input on secondary mixer or recording system. Set GROUND switches to LIFT or GND. Use whichever setting provides lowest noise performance. NOTE: The chassis ground connects to the Channel One input ground only, in order to reduce the possibility of channel crosstalk through chassis ground. To provide the noise-shielding benefit of the chassis enclosure when the S8 is not mounted in a grounded rack system, be sure to use the Channel One input when using fewer than eight channel input connections.