DIY Boom Holder/Cradle (Fishing Pole Holder) Link?

Dave

Hi All,

Have been searching the forums to find mention of the cheap DIY S shaped fishing rod holder, for doubling as a boompole cradle/holder. I'm pretty sure I saw it mentioned previously - anyone remember what it was called?  Trying to find one locally in Canada if I can.

Thanks very kindly.

Cheers,

Dave

Guys, it's a boom pole... normally Carbon fiber....  The rod holder is steel...  there is no way it's breaking, unless your using a lead boom pole...  It's the same thing...  I never once had the feeling it was not up to the job or dangerous in any way.

One on top is $14   one on bottom is the Remote audio one... $30....  The difference...  threaded post.. and a slightly longer holding hook.. (which I prefer).

$18 for the one on from Dalton on Amazon is a good deal...

$14.00.jpeg

$30.00.jpeg

2 minutes ago, afewmoreyears said:

Guys, it's a boom pole... normally Carbon fiber....  The rod holder is steel...  there is no way it's breaking, unless your using a lead boom pole...  It's the same thing...  I never once had the feeling it was not up to the job or dangerous in any way.

+1

Too big of fish John..

That weld could break on either one of those models...  bad weld, or too much stress... it is only so strong.  I probably would not hang a 15' pole at the poles end with one... Normal doc poles or longer poles with some counter hanging off the back help keep things working..

The thing is a bit of a funny shape. I could see it getting stressed just storing it..

I used one of these "cheap" ones just yesterday! With a borrowed C stand from the lighting truck. 

Because it was a sex scene and they wanted to greatly minimize the number of crew people in the room so I just used this to position my boom pole above the bed then ran a cable out of the room to my recorder. 

I did an ad-hoc solution with a superclamp on a shoot I was on recently. I used the spigot on the superclamp to attach it to a griphead on a C-stand and clamped the boom on. Grips happened to have the stuff I needed and they were not using them at the moment, so it cost me nothing. Got the job done, but I would have preferred having a fishing pole holder or Remote Audio's product.

Personally, I'd prefer not to use any boom holder with a very long pole or a heavy mic. If something breaks, an operator can at least attempt to minimize the damage.

On 4/24/2018 at 11:35 PM, afewmoreyears said:

One on top is $14   one on bottom is the Remote audio one... $30....  The difference...  threaded post.. and a slightly longer holding hook.. (which I prefer).

$18 for the one on from Dalton on Amazon is a good deal...

$14.00.jpeg

$30.00.jpeg

I've had 2 of these for over 15 years. Neither have ever broken nor have they fallen on top of anyone's head. I own a C-Stand and if you properly tighten and set it up so that the weight goes towrds the "tighten" side. You should be golden. Just use common sense and try to set up before talent is to sit down. Oh yes, regardless use a sandbag on the high leg. These run about $10 at your local Walmart and they are in the sporting section by the marine stuff I believe. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-Sure-Grip-Rod-Holder-5060-3/16203685

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions re:the pros and cons of the fishing rod holder DIY boom pole cradle.  Glad to know Walmart in the U.S. has them.  Unfortunately, I'm in Canada and I don't seem to see the same stock up here - any Canadian "fishermen" here who can tip me off to a Canadian source ?

Maybe Amazon is the way to go, anyhow.

Thanks again. Have a great day!

Cheers,

Dave