Boompole end exit to side exit conversion?

TristanChaika

Hi from North Carolina! I recently bought an Auray carbon fiber internally cabled 12' boom pole on B&H when it was a deal of the day for an amazing price. It seems like a pretty decent pole, despite having almost no reviews (anyone have any thoughts on it?). The one on sale had an end exit XLR, but I saw that Auray made a piece that you could replace the end and turn it into a side exit pole. However, after buying the pole and trying to find the conversion kit online, and emailing Auray, I realised that part was discontinued. I know you can use a right-angle XLR cable so that when resting the pole, the wire doesn't take as much abuse, but I was hoping someone knew of a more elegant solution, DIY or otherwise, preferably with some sort of rubber butt-cap.

Thanks!

Edited by TristanChaika
Edited for verbosity

This is why it is often a good idea to buy products from known and trusted manufacturers like K-Tek, PSC, VdB, Ambient, and formerly Loon (RIP). The brand that you speak of was probably a deal of the day because it was a short run product by a (probably) Chinese company, and BnH likely knew that they would no longer be carrying their products. 

Auray is a Canadian company. They make a lot of shock mounts and stuff that I have seen around. I figured they were just getting into boom poles. As far as I know the company is not going anywhere and b&H is still carrying their stuff.  I’ve only used Rode and K-Tek poles previously, and had issues with both, so I thought I’d try out the Auray one. On sale for $250 (regularly $550), it seemed like a good deal, and the design seemed like it had thought put into it. I couldn’t get anything 12’ and carbon fiber anywhere near that price range. They make it very easy to remove the cable, so I figured if nothing else, I could take the cables out and go wireless. It still has a decent reach, and is lightweight. The knuckles seem nice, too.

Anyway, still interested if anyone has conversion ideas. If not, I can live with right angle adapters for now. 

Without being able to hold one in my own hands, I can say that some manufacturers use similar sizes and parts that can be interchangeable. For example, some VdB poles will take a PSC right angle pole bottom. I’m pretty sure Loons do too. It may be worth researching the dimensions and threading specs of your pole vs. accessories of others. 

That’s a good idea, thanks.  I just saw a k-tek bottom that looked similar, maybe out of all the brands, one will fit. Just not sure of how easy it will be the find info on thread sizes and the like. I wish there was a brick and mortar place near me that had a variety of pro sound gear. I’ll need to do some googling.  

You’re right. And I don’t know where I got Canada from. I may have gotten confused with another manufacturer I was looking at. I just spent a while online trying to double check if Auray itself had a headquarters separate from Gradus Group in NY, but had no luck. 

On another note, my mic finally arrived after the packaging got mangled by USPS and it disappeared from tracking for several days. Practicing at home with the mic connected, it sounds like with practice cable noise won’t really be an issue when I move smoothly as suggested.

I have a smaller internally wired carbon fiber K-tek (can’t remember the model right now) that has a bottom XLR that I would love to get converted to mount my HM running parallel along the side. Unfortunately it’s not the K-tek with the removable end cap so buying the desired KT2AB Sidekick is not an option. 

I remember one company (Loon, perhaps?) made this 180dg XLR “U” adapter which is exactly what I would want but I can’t seem to find it anywhere. 

Any tips on something out there that I might be missing?

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros

On 5/16/2018 at 9:04 AM, hobbiesodd said:

I have a smaller internally wired carbon fiber K-tek (can’t remember the model right now) that has a bottom XLR that I would love to get converted to mount my HM running parallel along the side. Unfortunately it’s not the K-tek with the removable end cap so buying the desired KT2AB Sidekick is not an option. 

I remember one company (Loon, perhaps?) made this 180dg XLR “U” adapter which is exactly what I would want but I can’t seem to find it anywhere. 

Any tips on something out there that I might be missing?

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros

2 of these connected together?

https://www.amazon.com/LyxPro-positioned-different-interfere-applications/dp/B073X2SDMJ

But what you probably should look for is a shorty XLR with a right angle on one end and some sort of wrap (K-tek squid?) or something to secure the TX to the pole

8 hours ago, Shastapete said:

I have two of those XLRs sitting in my amazon cart but I’m worried about their stability on the end of the pole. I can see the whole apparatus snapping off. 

8 hours ago, Shastapete said:

But what you probably should look for is a shorty XLR with a right angle on one end and some sort of wrap (K-tek squid?) or something to secure the TX to the pole

And unfortunately I am currently using the setup you describe here and I’m not happy with it. 

Cheers,

Evan