Best small format recorders for planting

alek roslik

Hi all,

I am looking to pick up a small recorder unit for a plant mic. I know Lectrosonics has their PDR and Zaxcom has their ZFR400, and I am sure there are other brands making small format recorders.

Does anyone have experience with these (or both/other brands) enough to weigh-in on which I should choose?

Upsides that I can see:

-PDR = Split Record function or HD record with limiting, timecode port, headphone jack, transport/function control from phone app

-ZFR400 = 10+ hours of continuous recording on a single battery, zaxnet reception of timecode/transport controls, zaxnet QC monitoring

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, alek roslik said:

-ZFR400 = 10+ hours of continuous recording on a single battery, zaxnet reception of timecode/transport controls, zaxnet QC monitoring

Have you got a Zaxnet transmitter? If not that can get quite expensive. 

If yes, you might as well consider getting one of their regular transmitters, which can all record, too. 

But I think you can get TC into the recorder even without Zaxnet. The other Zaxnet may be less relevant for a plant mic. 

Tascam DR10 (any of DR10X/DR10CS/DR10L, depending on where you are or what you need) or Zoom F1 are cost effective options. (might also give a mention to the Saramonic SR-VRM1, has the benefit of supplying phantom power that the DR10X can't do)

Also check out the Sound Devices MixPre3, it is bigger (and more expensive) than the others I mentioned, but it still is truly very very tiny! And might still be small enough for your needs as a plant recorder. 

Saramonic SR-VRM1, I tried 1 out: horrible. I tried it for precisely the reason IF included it - phantom powering. Sound was ok, but the menu was poor and the XLR doesn't lock well or at all so a jumper lead is required for use with some mics. It's available if anyone's interested - used once, still boxed etc etc :-)

The ultimate SF recorder is:

~ Easy to configure with menu and/or app.

~ Phantom powering and 'plug-in' power.

~ Dual level mono recording.

~ Balance mono / unbalanced mono/stereo I/P and O/P.

~ Mic/line I/P and O/P.

~ Wifi/BT transport control, metering and QC audio.

~ 12 hour built in battery (AAs are too big now).

~ Headphone O/P.

~ Built in mic (for stand alone use in pocket etc) but not some BS XY stereo array designed by the marketing department, a single, DPA quality cap would do :-).

~ I don't mind if has a (recessed) multipin connector like a 6 pin lemo / TA5 to get all signals in and out of 1 plug (I'd rather pay the cable guys than the lawyers :-).

~ 1/8" female thread.

~ Form factor of small belt pack TX eg. SSM.

~ TC would be gravy.

On May 8, 2018 at 9:29 PM, alek roslik said:

Hi all,

I am looking to pick up a small recorder unit for a plant mic. I know Lectrosonics has their PDR and Zaxcom has their ZFR400, and I am sure there are other brands making small format recorders.

Does anyone have experience with these (or both/other brands) enough to weigh-in on which I should choose?

Upsides that I can see:

-PDR = Split Record function or HD record with limiting, timecode port, headphone jack, transport/function control from phone app

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Hi Alek,

Good to see you on here my friend!  I have two PDRs if you want to borrow one and check it out.  I just got them a few months ago and haven't used them yet.  

BB

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2018 at 11:53 PM, Constantin said:

Have you got a Zaxnet transmitter? If not that can get quite expensive. 

If yes, you might as well consider getting one of their regular transmitters, which can all record, too. 

But I think you can get TC into the recorder even without Zaxnet. The other Zaxnet may be less relevant for a plant mic. 

Thanks for you response, Constantin.

Yes, I do have a Nomad 12 with zaxnet. And that is what makes this option attractive when considering the relative price difference to the PDR. However, I just sent my nomad back to the shop for the third time to fix the zaxnet transmitter on this unit, so I am not super excited to loose that functionality with the ZFR400 if this happens again.

I have 4 Zaxcom recording transmitters, but I use them mostly on talent, and with a plant mic you would be using a lav or other mic that is wired for that connection. Whereas, for example, an Omnigoose would plug directly into the lectro PDR.

On 5/10/2018 at 8:18 AM, berniebeaudry said:

Hi Alek,

Good to see you on here my friend!  I have two PDRs if you want to borrow one and check it out.  I just got them a few months ago and haven't used them yet.  

BB

Thanks, my friend! I may take you up on that offer.