Rain protection sound bag

Attila

Hi,

I wonder what is the best way to protect a sound bag from rain when doing e.g. a documentary? 

I found two solutions from Sachtler - the Rain Poncho - and from ORCA - the OR-35 -. 

I would prefer the small solution from ORCA when I am already wearing a rain jacket. But it looks not very  reliable when it´s windy and I think the water will find it´s way through the top mounting.

Are there any alternatives or do someone know how to protect it otherwise?

I use $20 backpack rain covers from REI for both my bags. They compress down smaller than a can of soda and are permanently hooked to the sides of my bags. The elastic draw string helps secure the cover. Only downside is you can't see through it, but for $20 it's not really an issue for me. The 20L size fits over my Petrol PS602 no problem.

The K-Tek looks good but I don´t know if it fits onto my SACHTLER harness. Maybe on the hooks upside. Do you use it with the K-Tek harness?

About the REI rain covers. I thought about something like this, but I need to have access to the recorder and see through the cover. 

I use the Sachtler poncho, too. I quite like it as it is light and has no frills that are not needed and it can be packed into a small package. I also have the MTO slicker, which is the exact opposite: heavy and doesn’t pack well and has feature I don’t need. It‘s also quite large. I put it on my cart in lighter rain as it is large enough ro cover most of it

14 hours ago, Constantin said:

I put it on my cart in lighter rain as it is large enough ro cover most of it

Great idea for a quick emergency cover. Going to have to see if my petrol poncho will fit over my cart..

Depends, If I know I’m working coverage of an event (usually football)  that I HAVE to be in the weather, I have a full length poncho used for hiking, that is in it’s stuff sack attached to the bag ready to go,it covers me and the bag.  If the weather is looking iffy and the approaching front is not too ominous looking,  I have the ORCA standing by either on my cart in or in a backpack. Usually for scripted shoots that are  commercial or web content, we stop shooting if there’s rain, unless the script calls for it or schedule demands it. Camera is hydrophobic more than us:)  

Light vertical rain- clear Sealine brand map cover- used for protecting sea charts while kayaking. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4013-113/Map-Case  Similar to the more dirtbag, but effective trick of using a piece of clear shower curtain.

Heavy sideways rain- Sachtler poncho is awesome.  You don't want to be exerting yourself much in it, cause it doesn't breathe- though it's loose enough that a fair bit of air moves inside it.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

9 hours ago, Freeheel said:

Light vertical rain- clear Sealine brand map cover- used for protecting sea charts while kayaking. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4013-113/Map-Case  Similar to the more dirtbag, but effective trick of using a piece of clear shower curtain.

Heavy sideways rain- Sachtler poncho is awesome.  You don't want to be exerting yourself much in it, cause it doesn't breathe- though it's loose enough that a fair bit of air moves inside it.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

+1

Haha I started w/a DIY shower curtain and then eventually got a sea line map case. Works great!

Sadly, you really need a few of these. 

The older Petrol "rain bib" and now one produced by Sactler and KTek.  PROS:  I found was good in very light mist or rather useful in dusty or sandy conditions. It's rather small to throwin a fanny pack or pocket to quickly deploy to just protect the mixer bag.  CONS: You, however, are on your own.  I had / have the older Petrol ones and the older clear vinyl plastic became brittle over time from being rolled up for months without use.

The poncho, several makers now, is great if you are working in a situation where its a quick transition from outside (wet) to inside (dry).  I do football coverage and usually at the end of games I have to suit up to go out on the field for about 15-20 minutes at the end of the game in cold / wet weather.  Then quickly go inside to a hot, humid locker room for a duration.  PROS:  The poncho is great because you can don the whole thing, also slide your boom underneath until deployment, and when you transition to inside, take the whole thing off.  CONS:  Because your body is also underneath the same "bag"  the humidity is fairly quick to fog up the vinyl window.  It also gets toasty in hot weather, but it's open design (and the newer ones have venting) helps a little.  Also, if you wish to drop your mixer bag and walk away, it will remain unprotected.

The Audio Bag rain bags (VersaFlex, MTO ShooterSlicker) completely seals in your audio bag separate from yourself.  I do some hurricane / snow storm / live broadcast outdoor coverage and prefer this for those situations.  PROS:  These completely enclose the mixer bag (top, sides / bottom) with sleeves to insert your arms and ports for cable exits.  The audio bag clips inside, and you then harness up to the rain bag.  This makes is easy to set down and walk away with everything remaining protected, keeps it dry if you set it on the ground, or makes for quick transitioning from say a cart or table platform to straping on, or for changing your own layers without exposing the mixer bag to the elements.   The newer materials for the vinyl windows are much improved for fogging and durability.  Some of the bags have venting and pockets you can also use for hot packets in the cold.  CONS:  Access isn't as easy as the other two options.  You have to snake your hands in through the sleeves on some, and under large flaps on others.  They take some configuring to get placement correct for viewing of meters, etc.  and does take longer to insert or remover components.  But once you're all set it's good.  

I personally use an older rain bib from Petrol, a Petrol Poncho,  and a MTO Audio Slicker with some custom mods from Susan Ottalini from MTO Shooter Slicker (pic attached).  Get one of each from any maker and you're set for whatever situation you encounter.  Oh, and some FilmTools Bag-It's to just go over the whole cart / rig / trolley in a downpour.  Cheers.

MTO Audio Slicker 1.jpg

MTO Audio Slicker 2.jpg

MTO Audio Slicker 3.jpg

Nick Huston from Gotham Sound NY did a great video on some options.  Check that out here: