Sign in to follow this  
alenK

Can Lemo FGG.0B.302.CLAD52Z make contact with Lemo EGG.0B.305.CLL ?

Hello,

We are trying to troubleshoot a problem and hoping to eliminate, or consider further, the possibility that the male pins of a Lemo FGG.0B.303.CLAD52Z 3 pin "power" connector plug may have been able to make contact with the sockets of a female Lemo EGG.0B.305.CLL 5 pin "time code" jack.

A power connector was partially inserted into the time code jack but it was stopped by obstruction before the spring tabs were able to engage. A few set ups later the camera with the time code started displaying error codes. 

We are wondering if it is even possible for the pins and sockets to make contact with each other in this scenario.

I am writing in the hope that someone here may have access to the small parts and can offer some insights.

Thank you.

Somewhat possible as the 3 pin Lemos pins are set up like a triangle and the three active pins on a 5 pin Lemo are also set up in a triangle. The problem is the spacing between the pins on the 3 pin are closer together than the active pins on the 5 pin. I'm wondering what gear uses a 3 pin lemo for power as a 4 pin Hirose is somewhat the power standard and was that cable powered at the time?

Hello Eric,

Thank you for considering the question.

I may be mistaken about the 3 pin plug because I now realize I was considering two adjacent input "jacks", and do not actually know what the power "plug" was.

In this case, the jacks were on a OMOD XLR2 adapter device. A power jack is available as a 3 pin Lemo and a time code connector is adjacent to it with a 5 pin jack seemingly wired to the Ambient pin out convention.

The power cable that was inserted into the time code jack was from a D-Tap, and now I realize that I don't know what it was. I just know that there was some confusion when the plug would not seat in the time code input and it was found that the actual time code cable from my lock it box was dangling next to the D-Tap lead.

The camera functioned properly for several setups after that, I may or may not be a coincidence that the camera subsequently started throwing error codes.

I prepared some scale drawings to make comparisons.

One question I have relates to the speculation that the conducting female sockets may be recessed enough for an unmatched set of male pins to simply bottom against the plastic surround thus eliminating the chance for a connection to be made.

I am going to follow up to learn the details of the actual power plug that was involved.

Thank you for considering the question.

Lemo-305-vs-303.jpg

Lemo-305-vs-304.jpg

It turns out the D-tap cable was there to occasionally provide power to a Teradek video wi-fi transmitter that has a Lemo 302 2 pin connector.

Lemo-305-vs-302.jpg