Broken gear on a shoot, production won't pay!

IronFilm

For me it was as much about setting expectations before starting a job, than about winning a high dollar law suit.  Even if parts of it could be undermined in certain situations, it sets the intent of the relationship. I've also found it makes working with regular clients a lot smoother.  I'm in no way an expert on contract law, and don't desire to be, I did speak to an attorney for a while to help me understand the approach and it's ramifications.

12 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Although I suppose there are always legal options I could take to try and chase up the invoice with the smalls claims court, or even using the fact I'd still retain copyright of my audio files (thus he can't use them) until I get my invoice paid in full. But I'd rather not take legal paths, unless I absolutely have to. 

In New Zealand, the copyright "Commissioning Rule" gives copyright to the individual or company that commissions the work. If the production company has an obligation to pay you for recording the project, then they own the copyright from the outset. 

19 minutes ago, Wandering Ear said:

For me it was as much about setting expectations before starting a job, than about winning a high dollar law suit.  Even if parts of it could be undermined in certain situations, it sets the intent of the relationship.

This. x1000

I wouldn't want to have a written contract so that then I can use it as ammo to give to lawyers, nope. Just that it would be I imagine a lot easier to get him to stick to his word if I could point to where it was written than relying upon what was said verbally (repeatedly) to me.

Ah well, the benefit of hindsight!