Jump to content

Recommended Posts

As the filming season here in Chicago is in full swing, I along with other sound mixers have been getting busier. Which brings me to my topic of discussion, what gear should I get next. I recently purchased a Stanley storage tool box (as seen in the photos down below) from my local Target. It's retail value is only $10 US at the time I bought it. So far, it has sufficed and provided me with a momentary solution, and has kept me organized. However, this has only helping store my two G4 wireless kits, and sound essentials, meaning I still need a pelican case or something similar as my gear increases. So if someone has a used Pelican case they want to get rid of, please let me know, I am looking for a 1650 or something similar. 

 

IMG_20180521_170733.jpg

IMG_20180521_170814.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harbor Freight Tools has the Apache cases. For instance, the Apache 3800 is the same size and design as the Pelican 1450, but $60 less @ $39.99. I have not checked the quality difference.  I'm sure the Pelicans are more durable.. but at less than half the price... I'd check it out., though I'm not sure they have the  the 1650 size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you purchase stuff at HF, fair warning. I have had conversations with production that include comment's like " HF is the Wal-Mart of tool" "HF tools break after one use" HF is just cheap low ball undercut products". I have purchased tools from HF and have not had good results. Some work, but the tools have to be babied and used carefully if you plan to keep them and not used damaged equipment. They work great for throw away tools. I use a set to take to carp work, that way if they get stolen or lost I don't care. FYI I got my HF tools free from a former job. Frankly it's not worth the investment in my book, I have tools from before I was born that still have an edge. I can say with confidence that every screwdriver from HF is garbage. 

 

Doubted that someone would say something like that to your face, but unfortuantely your perception is critical IMHO. 

 

2 hours ago, Rick Reineke said:

the Apache 3800 is the same size and design as the Pelican 1450, but $60 less @ $39.99.

No lifetime warranty from HF.  I buy once, cry once. 

Hey @Rick Reineke

 

Your correct, @Alejandro Reyes if you only have a limited budget the HF apache case will work well. Better than tool boxes from the HW store. 

 

Sweet looking kit by the way…

 

You need a daiso near you, or TAP plastics, they have all that kinda little tray stuff. 

 

Daiso organizer, this is price for 12 units.  In the store they only cost .99!!!

 

clear plastic case from TAP Plastics. 

 

 

Sorry everybody, I guess I hold bad feelings for HF. I miss Sears. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2018 at 10:14 AM, Rick Reineke said:

Harbor Freight Tools has the Apache cases. For instance, the Apache 3800 is the same size and design as the Pelican 1450, but $60 less @ $39.99. I have not checked the quality difference.  I'm sure the Pelicans are more durable.. but at less than half the price... I'd check it out., though I'm not sure they have the  the 1650 size.

Thanks for the tip Rick I'll check them out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2018 at 12:07 PM, Dalton Patterson said:

If you purchase stuff at HF, fair warning. I have had conversations with production that include comment's like " HF is the Wal-Mart of tool" "HF tools break after one use" HF is just cheap low ball undercut products". I have purchased tools from HF and have not had good results. Some work, but the tools have to be babied and used carefully if you plan to keep them and not used damaged equipment. They work great for throw away tools. I use a set to take to carp work, that way if they get stolen or lost I don't care. FYI I got my HF tools free from a former job. Frankly it's not worth the investment in my book, I have tools from before I was born that still have an edge. I can say with confidence that every screwdriver from HF is garbage. 

 

Doubted that someone would say something like that to your face, but unfortuantely your perception is critical IMHO. 

 

No lifetime warranty from HF.  I buy once, cry once. 

Hey @Rick Reineke

 

Your correct, @Alejandro Reyes if you only have a limited budget the HF apache case will work well. Better than tool boxes from the HW store. 

 

Sweet looking kit by the way…

 

You need a daiso near you, or TAP plastics, they have all that kinda little tray stuff. 

 

Daiso organizer, this is price for 12 units.  In the store they only cost .99!!!

 

clear plastic case from TAP Plastics. 

 

 

Sorry everybody, I guess I hold bad feelings for HF. I miss Sears. 

 

Hey Dalton,

 

Thanks for your comment and compliment, it's very important to know what others think. I'm sorry about your HF experience, if there is one thing I can't tolerate is bad customer service. As for now, I'll continue using my current case and wait until I get a new shotgun mic and boom pole. hopefully by the end of the year I'll have enough money to play with. I'll keep you posted with what I have going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Alejandro, I understand the temptation to get something like a 1650 to fit your entire kit in and keep it organized but be warned that a fully loaded 1650 is HEAVY and you’re going to get hurt eventually if you plan on slugging it around all the time. 

 

I sold mine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2018 at 10:53 AM, Derek H said:

Hey Alejandro, I understand the temptation to get something like a 1650 to fit your entire kit in and keep it organized but be warned that a fully loaded 1650 is HEAVY and you’re going to get hurt eventually if you plan on slugging it around all the time. 

 

I sold mine. 

Hey Derek, great insight I'll take it into account. I do however have a question for you in that respect... If not a pelican 1650 then what do you recommend? About it being heavy I understand completely. But as it stands, I'm logging a lot of gear with me already, in fact more than I can handle. Be as it may, I still need a case to organize my equipment and bags do not work all that much for me. So again I ask, which case or other brands do you recommend if not the pelican 1650?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pelican Air 1615 though not as sturdy, has worked for me for a couple years so far. That being said I do keep my 688 kit in a 1650 and yes, it's heavy. Though I have a tip, the much older 1650's that have the significantly larger horizontal carry handle are better as you can use two hands easily. And there's a generation or two of 1650's (could even be the current one) that don't sit flat when you set it down (if you were carrying it horizontallylike a suitcase). This is annoying to say the least. Deal breaker in my opinion. Look on Craigslist in Chicago. They'll pop up at some point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're going from a garage to vehicle to cart then a 1650 is alright but if you need to carry it up and down stairs regularly I'd stay away. Just lifting it in and out of a truck you're very likely to twist something in your back unless you're very careful, every time, or have help. Just use multiple smaller cases.

 

Personally, my day-day ENG setup lives in a Portabrace runbag, the medium one. Lots of organization options and pockets and even room for small otterbox type cases inside. I find it easier to sling a runbag over the shoulder and haul for short periods of time than use all hard cases. I gave up on the idea of everything in one case, it's not practical even for small rigs. In addition to the PB runbag I have another soft bag for cable (like 4x 100' XLR, breakaway and extension, a stinger, 50' BNC, etc), and keep less often used things in separate cases. For example, I have a Comtek system with 8 receivers, headphones and base station all in a single small/medium Pelican ready to go when needed. I don't put my mixer bag and wireless in a case at all. It's just permanently built in a K-Tek stingray and I carry it by hand everywhere. 

 

If I know I'm going to have to haul long distances on foot or get through an airport I downsize from the run bag to a wheeled Pelican 1510 and my rig can ride on top of that. Still gets heavy if you're pulling this around a long time but it's manageable.

 

Everyone organizes their stuff differently. It's really up to you!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pelican Air cases do appear less sturdy, but I've shipped them maxed out with gear to several third world destinations and never had a problem - they're made from some new material that has flex but doesn't break. Pelican also has a partition system for them that helps make the most out of the space.  I've got two of the Airs that are exactly the max allowed size for baggage which is handy, and I switch to run bags once unpacked. I've got a bad back and always look for anything lighter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×