RIP Glenn Snoddy

al mcguire

Very Saddened to hear this.

There's good ol' tube distortion, which was happening well before Snoddy's fuzz was discovered by accident--and his was the perfect fuzz for that recording.

But fuzz is a world of sound unto itself. I love the online guitar forum questions from kids approaching their first fuzzbox.

Kid: What fuzz should I get?

Me: The one that makes your mother go instantly berserk is usually the best one.

Put fuzz in the hands of a pioneer and you're going to get music, not uncontrolled noise that makes the moms go berserk. Maybe.

Rock In Peace Glenn Snoddy.

I wasn't a country music fan as a kid, so never heard that Marty Robbins track.  But the guitar riff in the Rolling Stones' "Satisfaction" launched thousands of bands--we heard it and said "I want to do THAT!"   It just seemed so badass at the time...  Maestro FuzzTones were expensive: there were only one or two among all the guitar players I knew, there was a lot of borrowing for gigs...and then the Arbiter FuzzFace came along...

The Univox Super Fuzz and the Marshall Supa Fuzz were among the best to my ears. A Sam Ash branded fuzz was right up there too in quality.

A Fender designed (mostly by John Page of the Custom Shop) guitar made in Japan in the late 80's, the Heartfield RR 7 and other RR variants had an (push button, along with pickup wiring) onboard distortion circuit that was a really tasty liquid fuzz when the internal gain was maxed out. It does not have the usual artifact noise associated with boxes because of the active electronics. It's definitely a value leader as some of them can be had for the same price as a classic vintage fuzzbox.