Wave Agent split track with TRACK INFO Name?

alenK

Hello,

I just used Sound Device's Wave Agent to split some Poly wav files from my SD 633.

I was surprised there was not an option to include the TRACK INFO "Name" in the processed split files.

In other words, my channel that was labeled "boom" was processed and split with the designation "_03", where as I will prefer to retain the "Boom" designation.

I used a generic file renaming utility to do what I wanted but had previously thought the ability was a basic capability with Wave Agent.

is it possible with Wave Lab? Am I missing something?

Thank you.

Could this be a simple confusion of Filename and Metadata? 

The split function retains the original filename with the added appendage of the channel counter (_03 in your example). If you now reopen the split file it should display the trackname just fine. 

Hello,

Than you for your response. I was hoping there was an automated way to include the track name in the names of the new files that result from the split process.

I will assume by that I am not missing any opportunity to select an option to include the TRACK INFO name in the name of the split files.

Thank you for your help.

1 hour ago, alenK said:

Hello,

Than you for your response. I was hoping there was an automated way to include the track name in the names of the new files that result from the split process.

I think if they did that, postpro would become a lot more difficult as you might end up with a lot of files with the same name (the track name). How would you know where this belongs?

Hello,

For example; A 5 track Polywave which was named in the Sound Devices 633 recorder as Scene-001-01.wav would be split to 5 files named as such: 

Scene-001-01_Lmix.wav

Scene-001-01_Rmix.wav

Scene-001-01_Jacks-Lav.wav

Scene-001-01_Jills-Lav.wav

Scene-001-01_BOOM.wav

As I think I now understand it, the only current option split a 5 track Polywave which was named in the Sound Devices 633 recorder as Scene-001-01.wav to 5 independent files produces naming such as this:

Scene-001-01_01.wav

Scene-001-01_02.wav

Scene-001-01_03.wav

Scene-001-01_04.wav

Scene-001-01_05.wav

Thank you.

There is nothing wrong with it. The metadata are still there and the number ( _3 for instance) I think is a technical requirement. Software like Pro Tools can recognise they are part of the same root file and group them in a multitrack channel, if needed. Nuendo does the same when splitting the files. I don't think there is a software giving you the option you are asking about, you need to do it yourself (quite quickly also) with a renaming software like NameChanger:

https://mrrsoftware.com/namechanger/

once you changed the name I am not sure if PT will be able to recognise your files as being part of the same root ones.

• 1 year later...

If the problem is that when you spot a polywav to PT, the channel name disappears/displays incorrect information, then it is probably missing the 'Function' input with the TRACK INFO.

To edit Track Names and Functions:

1. Select a take or multiple takes by highlighting them in the Take List.

2. Locate the Track Info section of the Metadata Editor. Click the Track Name or Track Function text field for the desired channel to be edited.

3. A text cursor will appear, edit the Track Name and/or Function.

4. Deselect the edited text field by clicking elsewhere or pressing the Enter or Tab keys.

5. Save edits by clicking the Save button or by pressing Ctrl + S (Windows) or Apple + S (MAC).

NOTE: Batch Track Info editing is only applied to Takes with the same number of channels.

The channel will likely contain 'Name' but will be missing 'Function'.