...and a surprising third act (laurel/yanni)

Jay Rose

My story made the front page of Buzzfeed about an hour ago, just below the Disney Princesses. Their reporter summarized it nicely for non-engineers and added some expert confirmation.

I am now officially an "audio geek" and preparing to enjoy fifteen minutes of fame.

But, alas, Buzzfeed said it was against policy to include my CAS credential...

This link goes directly to their article.

Buzzfeed180527_1100AM.jpg

I'm waiting for it to get picked up by Slashdot. The reporter left out a major, important factor that I cover in my website...

So I expect a lot of trolls saying "You @#%!! Truck squeals don't sound like 'yanni'!"

FWIW, my revised blog post -- with the twist making it a nice 3-act story -- is at www.jayrose.com. Big banner on the index page.

This is wild! So pleased and honored, as always, that Jay Rose has participated in our online community, pleased as well that BuzzFeed wrote a story featuring Jay and JWSOUND ----  but "audiophiles", "message board", pretty ridiculous. Thank you, Jay, for all that you do, all us "audiophiles" appreciate your contributions. I just wish BuzzFeed had gotten the whole story right ---- at least they did link to our site.

The reporter called to fact-check a couple of things before publishing. I'm glad: there were a few things she didn't get exactly right, and they told me where I need to write more clearly next time. 

After it was published, I told her that the article skipped how older NR software (misused) could modulate  squeals into vocal pitches and dynamics... and having that missing could cause flame wars on Slashdot. So she had BuzzFeed add a sentence. She called it "morphing"... which it really ain't... but I'm not going to be anal about that.

Damn it, though: My article refers to JWSound as "a professional sound site", and I told her it was populated by high-end film sound experts. So I guess she "morphed" that as well. 

I used to do a lot of work with old-line politicians (of the Ted Kennedy / Tip O'Neill crowd). Their mantra was "I don't care what they write about me, so long as they spell my name correctly."