Mixer/recorder - changing the stereo width

jbuerjes

hey, Jule,

a bit late, but the older Cantar X1 and X2 treat MS the same way as X3 and mini. Record discrete MS Iso's and have your stereo width on a sliding fader for the mix. Their used street price is about € 4.000,- or less. If you are satisfied with 6 Iso channels those are a beautiful option, best build quality, best preamps, best limiters, best energy efficiency.

• 1 year later...

Hey Jule,

did you find a solution after all? 

I´m trying to monitor in stereo right now with my 664, but it´s not working as i was hoping. I can hear the Mid-Signal and also the Side-Signal, but it´s not clear left and right. I tried both, linking the channels and monitoring MS-ST. I can hear both signals, but i can´t manage to get it left and right.

Either way it´s like this with the side: i can hear the clear-side signal, when i´m speaking to one side of the mic (8) and then i hear the out-of-phase signal, when i´m speaking to the other side of the mic (8). But not LR, just 0° and 180°.

What am i missing. It´s ok for me to deliver the ISO´s to post, but i´m still wondering what am i doing wrong? Maybe do you have answers?

Best from Munich, Tim.

yes the 6 series is sub par in this department. i feel like its more for dialogue. the x3 works like a charm for ms, surround and all that.

one recorder which has not been mentioned is the sonosax sx-r4+. it will do what you want. give you unprocessed isos and give you the decoded MS signal in the mix track where you can change the width. its also great for ambisonics