Pin Mic - opinions and experiences?

Darren

Looking for thoughts on, and experiences with, the Pin Mic.  I've been using COS-11's exclusively since they first became available, but the pin mic seems like a good solution for those occasional situations where you just can't keep a conventional lav either quiet or hidden.

I'm curious to know who has used this mic in the field?  What did you use it on?  How did it perform?  How did it sound?  How did it blend with your other microphones?  Was it reliable?  How was it for wind noise, etc, etc, etc?

Thanks,

Darren

I would also love to hear about these mic's, they seem very interesting...

The only real info I have to add on this is that in the Coffey Audio Files I saw an advert for the pin mic featuring the Janitor from Scrubs wearing one... I dont know if Scrubs uses the Pin Mic or it was just an advert, but if they do, thats got to count in its favour. right?

I like it pretty well, but it doesn't get used except in special circumstances.  I have added it as a "extra button" to a woman's winter coat for an exterior walk and talk--really worked great with wardrobe that would have sucked for a traditional buried lav approach. Used it as a decorative button on a yoga instructor with the predictably synthetic-fabric top, worked really well since the mic was outside the wardrobe.  Has worked less well on fabrics that are too thin to support the weight of the capsule and the backplate w/o sagging, and some people do not want 3 holes made in their clothes, even if they are small.  In general I liked the sound of the "exterior" capsule better than the "interior" one.  The "exterior"'s built in windscreen is ok, but only for pretty light wind.  I could see how in certain kinds of TV news feature/magazine kinds of shooting that these might get a lot of use, although I don't think I could sell any American female on-air personality on using one of the "brooch" jewelry type covers for the mic.  I used the "shirt-button" technique a few times, but again it involves modifying the wardrobe (cutting off an extra button) and you need time and wardrobe support to do it well.  In most dramatic situations I would say that it would be a very tough sell w/ the wardrobe folks unless you could completely camo-it (ie the false button gag).  For doco stuff it is a good trick to have in the bag.

Philip Perkins

I was also thinking of adding a Pin Mic to my kit, for those especially difficult outfits.

My mind was changed when I used my first B6...exposed in plain view, shot on HDW-700a.  Much easier/quicker to disguise and no added weight (so, no sagging)

The Pin-Mic can be a cool little trick, but I don't think it is any easier to use or hide.

I was also thinking of adding a Pin Mic to my kit, for those especially difficult outfits.

My mind was changed when I used my first B6...exposed in plain view, shot on HDW-700a.  Much easier/quicker to disguise and no added weight (so, no sagging)

The Pin-Mic can be a cool little trick, but I don't think it is any easier to use or hide.

That's pretty much my drift--the pin mic has been a great problem solver but I was never tempted to use it instead of B6 or COS-11 if I felt I had a choice.

Philip Perkins

I have been usung pin mics almost exclusively for the past 6 months. It's great not having to deal with fabric russle any longer. I have the out door capsules, 1 silver, 1 black, and use what is approriate. They have given pleasant surprises in some trying situations.eg iceskater (figure skating) in lycra suit, travelling full speed - not a breath of wind. Ditto roller skater. I find usually no issue appearance wise with directors etc as they're quite discrete. On a business shirt, I position thru a button hole, or straight thru a tie as a tie clip. Quick and easy, and you know it'll work first time!

Do you ever have problems with "ruining" someones shirt/tie with the Pin-mic "pins"?

I know my vampire clips (Tram) use pins, but they "spread" the fibres apart, they don't tear the fibres, except on very delicate fabrics.  That being said, I use Topstick and Transpore 99% of the time to mount mics and rarely the supplied mic clips.

I have had a pair for a while and I don't use them that much, but sometimes they are really usefull. They get more use when I don't do drama, and I just can put them in plain sight, but I have used them on actors with difficult clothing or a lot of movement. They are rather heavy, and the cable to thick for my taste, so it workes best on heavier fabrics. I would not take them instead of my B6 or sanken, but they are good as problem solvers to have in the bag of tricks.

Regards

Oscar Lovnér

Personally I love mine.  I have both the indoor and outdoor.  I find its great when time is tight and I can't properly setup one of my B6s or other lavs.  I also had major problems with Anthony Michael Hall, he likes to "adjust" his lav himself right before each take which kept messing it up so I just started using a pin-mic on him and the problem was solved.

~Marque

• 7 months later...

I have been using them for a couple of years now and I just love them!

At the moment I have six of the little blighters ready to go depending on the situation.

Two white Ms1's for hiding under buttons (I carry quite a huge selection of buttons now so as to avoid cutting the spare ones off clothing) A silver grey, Pearlescent White and two black Mits 2'S which I have used extensively on cooking shows.

It is really worth buying the wind socks for them again as you can colour match the cover to the talents fabric.

For anyone who has tried to mike anyone up wearing a wet suit will have probably been tearing the hear out, not a problem with a pin mic but be prepaired to stop the talent about every five minutes if it's wet as water starts to wick up the pins so you need to pull the microphone capsule off dap the pins with a dry cloth and put the microphone head back on. It only takes a few seconds but it's the only real problem I have had apart from raid drops hitting the microphone head square on with a huge thud.

Clothing noise, What noise? as for fabrics really close weave silks be careful! generally hold the back plate and wiggle the pins through the weave of the fabric. Once you take the microphone off give the fabric a quick rub and a pat down with some gaffer tape.

Some fabrics take up to 24 hours to recover or a wash I have a cotton shirt here which has had pin microphones just stuffed through it all over the place and to look at it you would never know the way I have abused it.

Ricsonix has now also developed a Button Microphone which has a flat back with a machined recess that sits over the button and a tiny parabolic dish on a 3mm stalk on to which you attach a second button to hide it.  Sounds funky but it works a treat.

The guys ar Ricsonix www.ricsonix.com are coming up with many new and innovative products all the time. If only they would keep their web site updated as quickly...

Expect some new products out soon which will rock your world and make the industry sit up and go what the bleedin elle.

As for mixing in with other microphones... well it mixes really nicely with the Cos11, Tram but generally I use them on everyone so no real issues there.

If your thinking of buying one take a friend and your sound kit along get a friend to put one on and jump up and down vigourously like they were doing aerobics. If nothing else it will give the staff in the shop a good chuckle but you will be surprised how clean the sound will be considering how the talent is reacting.

Due to the shape and design of the back plate you can use these as placement microphones. Try sticking one on the back of a rear view mirror of a car you will be surprised. Have fun and play with them, these microphones open up a whole new way of working which keeps the grey matter chugging along nicely.

Cheers

Nige