Question Re: Updating Firmware On Sound Devices Products -

Dave

Hi All,

Just a quick question about updating firmware on Sound Devices recorders :  After downloading a firmware update file to an SD card and completing the firmware update in the machine, do you leave this update file on your SD card or do you delete it from the card? I assume that the file from the SD card updates the internal system in the machine itself?  I have been leaving the firmware update file on the SD card but when I next boot up the machine, it senses that an update file is present and a message indicates that an update will begin - it appears to run an update but nothing actually changes because the update had already been done previously. Anyhow, would you recommend removing the update file from the SD card after installing it?

Thanks kindly for your tips. Wishing everyone a great day :-)

Cheers,

Dave

19 minutes ago, Dave said:

would you recommend removing the update file from the SD card after installing it?

Yes. It is written to the internal drive on the Sound Devices machine to operate the system, ( OS ) as Mac likes to call it. No need to retain original file on SD card. 

It's 76 degrees and gorgeous outside here. Good day to you too!

I have a separate SD card (a very old 2GB one) that I only use for firmware updates on my MixPres. That way I can leave all of the updates on there and carry the card with me, making it very easy to roll back to an earlier version if something starts to go crazy on set. 

I would not leave the update file on the same card you use to record on - if you just have the one card I would format it after installing the update. 

-Mike

3 minutes ago, Mobilemike said:

separate SD card (a very old 2GB one) that I only use for firmware updates on my MixPres. That way I can leave all of the updates on there and carry the card with me, making it very easy to roll back to an earlier version if something starts to go crazy on set.

Great idea Mike. I like the idea of having an SD card pre loaded with previous firmware revisions. Less downtime. 

I have heard of system crashes on the 664 and the 633 where only a firmware "update" (installation of the current firmware once again) brought the machine back to normal behaviour. So it may be useful to have the file in the kit.

Dave, 

I have had the same problem with Mixpre 10t (firmware detected/updating message). I have also received timecode errors while only using AA batteries . Sound Devices recommended to use the wall power adaptor while doing the update.  I am not convinced that this made any real difference. If my recorder is left off for a period of time and then powered on I will get the message(only while using AA batteries). It seems to be an issue when using the AA batteries. I have not had the message while using my external battery (Remote Audio Hi-Q). I was worried that I may have had a bad unit but after talking to SD they assured me it was a known issue and they were working to resolve it. Dave what are you using to power your recorder?