Sony UWP-D11 kit mic creates noise when used with G3?

Alfred Faber

Hi guys! First time posting, hope to learn a lot on this forum :)

I have a Sony UWP-d11 system and a Sennheiser G3, both still with their kit microphones as I haven't been able to afford to replace them with anything better. I recently tried using the kit mic that comes with the Sony system with the G3 transmitter, and it made a very bizarre noise, like an old modem. It took me a while to figure out that I was using the wrong mic, however this seems really bizarre to me; I assumed they're both fairly stock standard condenser lavalier microphones without much difference?

This isn't even really a problem, because the G3 worked fine again when used with the me-2 capsule; I'm just curious as to what was causing this noise?

Thanks a lot!

Sony uses a different wiring configuration for their wireless mic input than Sennheiser. So a mic wired for Sennheiser 3.5mm TRS will not work with a Sony transmitter and the same the other way. Sony uses the ring of a tip-ring-sleeve connector for the audio input and everyone else uses the tip for audio. So for adding new mics you'll have to choose which system you want to use them with. You could have adapters made that would allow Sony transmitters to accept Sennheiser wired lavs to work and Sennheiser transmitters to work with Sony wired Lavs. My best advice is to choose which system you want to be the main one and choose to have new lavs wired for that one and use one adapter for all the other lavs you have now.

29 minutes ago, Glen Deakin said:

How difficult would it be to open up the Sony transmitter and try to Frankenstein something to change this to make it compatible?  

The socket is PCB mounted and a very tight fit sandwiched between the casing and the PCB. I wouldn't say an impossible job, but save yourself the hassle and make a jumper cable instead, if you want to interchange the microphones between the two systems.