Tomorrow morning breezes in Rio Rancho, NM

LarryF

The architectural look is called Retro Lectro and is what happens when you spend all your money on FCC lab testing of the new stuff. Fortunately, steel siding lasts for a long time in this climate. Without paint.

Also, we get spare change from visitors that feel sorry for us. And that's an invitation to anyone that wants to visit.

Best,

Larry F

18 hours ago, LarryF said:

Many years ago in a BMW 2002, I raced a tumbleweed down Route 66 coming into Albuquerque; the tumbleweed won, but after all, it was bigger.

Best,

Larry F

I'm pretty sure those M series 4 cylinders were measured in squirrels rather than horses in terms of power, except the TII version of course 😉

12 minutes ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

According to an email from LSC this morning, it appears that there’s a traveling band in there...

A traveling band is the best way to think of this band. It is for Part 74 users, which is the users on this forum. It is not for churches , musicians or theater, cell phones or broadcast TV stations, etc. Scans by beta users in ten locations, have shown nothing but the noise floor.

Best,

Tumbling Tumbleweeds Fisher

33 minutes ago, Derek H said:

Nice! Two questions. What’s the transmit power of these 941 transmitters and can we expect to see IFB products in this band soon?

Also, ok I guess three questions... How does RF performance compare in this band to UHF? 

Hi Derek,

It is the "classic" single block transmitter moved up to the new range. The circulating isolator is back in the transmitter output stages for low intermod. The receivers can have narrower front end filters again since the new block covers 19 MHz (minus some gaps) similar to the lower UHF 25.6 MHz blocks. Power is a full 100 mW and variable. As far as range, I'm hearing consistently excellent results but this is tempered by the fact that there is very little noise in this band. A TV station in block 19 might be 100 miles away and not show up on a scan but still reduce your range by half. There are no TV stations in 941.

As far as IFB, we currently see IFB in the lower blocks with wireless mics in the higher 941 Block. At least it will take some pressure off frequency co-ordination in larger productions. Also, we spent 40 grand+ getting this new gear approved in the new block; we need to take a breath so we can buy paint.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

42 minutes ago, codyman said:

Very cool.  What's the status on this new band outside the US?  Would be great to have a true "traveling" band!

As far as I know, US only.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Edited by LarryF
940 changed to 941

22 minutes ago, Sound Intuition said:

Is there any chance of getting VRT's in this new block?

It will happen, eventually. The 941 block is for film and Tv production so we did the most popular products for those users first. VRTs would be next on that list along with SSM. Tumbleweeds are not an endangered plant in Rio Rancho. 

Best,

Larry F

29 minutes ago, Derek H said:

What’s the max number of channels the block can support for simultaneous operation?

"That depends"  on how conservative your frequency program is. Lectro (very conservative) has always ended up recommending fewer channels than what users have been able to do. So, I'll give a wishy washy answer of 3/4 as many channels as in a regular 25.6 MHz block, assuming both blocks are totally clear. We all know this is not a normal state of affairs anymore, so the real answer is more than you can get in a usual lower block.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

1 hour ago, Daniel McIntosh said:

It seems these are above the range of the ALP620 Shark Fins and the SNA600 dipole, so in a rack they'll need a specialized array?

We have a reasonably priced  PCA 900 antenna. It is fiberglass dipole that has 3.75 dBd of gain. It's a broadband dipole with a reflector, is relatively small and is road worthy. It comes with a cute (cheap) mounting strap for fixed locations or an optional (more money) mounting kit for stands and booms. Other than the standard whip antenna on the receivers, it is the only available antenna.  It should be more than sufficient and is a much smaller solution than us extending the range of the ALP series of antennas.

https://www.lectrosonics.com/US/phocadownload/PCA900td.pdf

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

1 hour ago, LarryF said:

That depends"  on how conservative your frequency program is.

Freq finder seems to top out at about 10 channels per 25 meg block. So maybe 7-8 freqs fully utilizing block 941?

3 hours ago, LarryF said:

As far as IFB, we currently see IFB in the lower blocks with wireless mics in the higher 941 Block. 

This makes sense but what if you need a lot of mics. Then you’re dealing with a more complicated antenna distro across two far flung bands. My first thought was that it would be great to get IFB and camera hops completely off of A1 & B1. Easiest to implement anyway for a lot of existing setups. 

Perfect, Daniel.

Years later, the classic BMW  T-shirt was one that said, "In 1976, God stopped making BMWs".  

1977 was the last year of the 2002. After that came the softer 3 series, 2500 sedans and the Bavaria or “The Boring Driving Machines”.

Best,

LEF

5 hours ago, Derek H said:

snip>> and can we expect to see IFB products in this band soon?<< snip

Derek, I temporarily forgot that we have been making IFB in the 944 band for several years. Originally, they could only be used by broadcast TV in their studios but I'm not sure how the new rules change this or if they do.

Best,

LEF

1 hour ago, al mcguire said:

Larry, if you roll a 2002 BMW can it keep up with a rolling tumbleweed ?

Nope. A rolling tumbleweed would happily bounce along at the speed of the wind, scattering millions of seeds for next year's crop. A rolling 2002 would sadly scatter only side mirrors and door handles.

LEF