Unusual lav hiding gear

TristanChaika

I’ve seen a few older threads on here about unusual or out of the box tips and tricks and thought I’d share something I found near the moleskin in the healthcare section at the local grocery store.

Gel (silicone?) toe spacers! (Pic attached)

With a little trimming and a hole poked through the middle with the blade from the scissors, they make a very nice and quite lav mount (99%) immune to clothing rustle.  There’s even a slight divet on one end for the mic head to pop out, but still be protected. I tried it stuck to my chest with topstick and a t-shirt and it worked really well. Haven’t tried it on clothing like between buttons on a button up yet. 

Obviously wouldn’t work with a tram style lav.  

Anyway, would be curious if anyone’s tried this yet, or have any other new fun tips.

372B03CF-4267-47BA-832F-56D74EE8D3E7.jpeg

It’s about the size of an RM-11, but about 1/4” thick, which is about three RM-11s. However, it’s very squishy, like a gel shoe insert. Would probably be noticeable under a tight t-shirt, but you might be able to smooth the lump out by taping it down tighter. You can also cut it up easily and change the shape to an extent to make it shorter, flatter, tapered, maybe thinner.

6125C1B7-27F1-41EF-AB50-83509A378D02.jpeg

5223CE7D-1410-4238-A03E-1A35B9D0D08C.jpeg

DB74A3A7-0D0C-4B59-AC30-6F40EC3968F6.jpeg

I wouldn’t say it’s sticky exactly, but it is kinda tacky. It has a weird quality that almost makes tape sticking to it stickier. It’s not soft and smooth and somewhat rigid like, say a silicone spatula, it is more like a cube of jello. I don’t know how it would handle a full day of use, but seems promising after my brief tests.

Theres nothing wrong with an RM 11.... Pictured next to the toe spacer above.. Unless they old and lose their softness...  Supple is the key .. I have had good luck lightly sanding them to get back a little pliability..  we use them all the time with great results...  They are accepting of sticky materials and are just the right thickness...  

Don't know how the toe spacers improve on that...  I would also wonder how difficult to push the mic through the spacer and how that may affect the mic wire connection over time... that RM 11 can be a mic destroyer if you are not real careful about how you push that mic through over and over.. and, pull it out.

1 hour ago, afewmoreyears said:

Theres nothing wrong with an RM 11.... Pictured next to the toe spacer above.. Unless they old and lose their softness...  Supple is the key .. I have had good luck lightly sanding them to get back a little pliability..  we use them all the time with great results...  They are accepting of sticky materials and are just the right thickness...  

Don't know how the toe spacers improve on that...  I would also wonder how difficult to push the mic through the spacer and how that may affect the mic wire connection over time... that RM 11 can be a mic destroyer if you are not real careful about how you push that mic through over and over.. and, pull it out.

I love the RM-11 and I use it constantly.  I just wish that they would get replace the raised printing with a nice smooth surface.

Yeah, I came up with the toe spacer idea before I got a cos-11d and rm-11. The toe spacer is nice because it is squishy and will work well for really any lav that has the capsule on the tip. Mix and match. It also transfers less noise to the mic than rubber mounts like the RM-11 and moleskin solitions that I tried.

as for taking the mic out, you don’t want to pull it out by the cable, you can squish the toe spacer down around the mic until it pops out or until you can get a hold of the mic head and pull it out. 

This is probably for a different thread, but my cos-11 (mic and cable) is waaaaay more sensitive to handling noise than I thought it would be. Much more than the stock Sony mic that came with my old UWP transmitter (which is one of the reasons I thought upgrading would be good).