"Ecto Plate" timecode & audio box mounting plates! ($40 and up)

UPDATE: Ecto Plates now in stock and available for immediate purchase!!! Thanks to all for their wonderful support!

https://www.backpackrig.com/ectoplate/

Hello Lovely JWsound community!

My name is Jordan Levie and, in addition to being a local NYC camera assistant, I am the owner and operator of backpackrig.com a small upstart camera support accessories company. We started with a backpack rig for handheld shooting, but just this week we've released a new accessory mounting product that I think will be very appealing to the cinema sound department. 

It's called ECTO PLATE: a simple, super lightweight plate with retractable/removable Arri-style anti-twist pins. 

Check out all the details here: https://www.backpackrig.com/ectoplate/

AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER NOW!

Ecto Plate is available in 2"x4" and 3"x3", and offers an easy way to quickly and cleanly add just a few inches of precious flat mounting space to your build. Perfect for:

• Timecode boxes
  • Audio Receivers 
  • Cinetape Readouts
  • Wireless HD Transmitters

Made from carbon fiber and aircraft-grade aluminum, Ecto Plate is lightweight but sturdy. Retractable/removable Arri-style anti-rotation pins allow quick and secure mounting that won't sag or wiggle loose. Just back out the captive pins with a standard allen wrench and Ecto Plate mounts flush on any top handle, cage, or cheese-plate.

Ecto Plate CF comes with 3/8-16 (captive) and 1/4-20 mounting screws as well as two female 1/4-20 holes. Bolt your plate directly to the side back or top of the camera when mounting a small accessory box, or get creative and put Ecto Plate on the end of an Noga/isralie/magic arm for a multitude of other uses.

Ecto Plate AL also has both 3/8-16 (captive) and 1/4-20 mounting screws plus a bevy of 1/4-20 holes, 3/8-16 center hole (with Arri anti-rotation pin receivers), and several 1/4" pass-through channels. Hard mount directly to the plate or cover with Velcro and attach your AKS that way!

Available currently in five different flavors, rest assured there's an Ecto Plate perfect for your application and budget!

180528_019853_digifullframe_sonya7rii dimensions copy.jpg

180528_019886_digifullframe_sonya7rii copy.jpg

180528_019861_digifullframe_sonya7rii dimensions copy.jpg

180528_019878_digifullframe_sonya7rii copy.jpg

180605_019945_digifullframe_sonya7rii dimensions copy.jpg

180605_019951_digifullframe_sonya7rii copy.jpg

180605_019957_digifullframe_sonya7rii dimensions copy.jpg

180605_019963_digifullframe_sonya7rii copy.jpg

180528_019902_digifullframe_sonya7rii dimensions copy.jpg

180528_019924_digifullframe_sonya7rii copy.jpg

180528_019933_digifullframe_sonya7rii copy.jpg

180605_019988_digifullframe_sonya7rii dimensions copy.jpg

180605_019983_digifullframe_sonya7rii copy.jpg

180605_019987_digifullframe_sonya7rii copy.jpg

Edited by Jordan Levie
new information

Way cool.  Are all those holes in the metal plates threaded?  If so, I'm in!  I've made several plates like this for myself but yours are much nicer.  One suggestion: a version with a NanoClamp or similar rubber-jacket-jaw-grabber device instead of the simple bolt.  I often end up using the crappy plates I made for myself this way, grabbing lens-rails, pan handles or top handles etc...

3 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Way cool.  Are all those holes in the metal plates threaded?  If so, I'm in!  I've made several plates like this for myself but yours are much nicer.  One suggestion: a version with a NanoClamp or similar rubber-jacket-jaw-grabber device instead of the simple bolt.  I often end up using the crappy plates I made for myself this way, grabbing lens-rails, pan handles or top handles etc...

Hey Philip! Thanks so so much for your interest! Yes indeedie! On the aluminum Ecto Plates all the holes are threaded. On the 2x4 you've got 26x female threaded 1/4-20 holes (9mm on center "Red" spacing), 4x 1/4" pass-through channels, and one center 3/8-16 hole (with Arri-style anti-rotation pin receivers). On the 3x3 it's a slightly different layout...34x 1/4-20 holes, 2x pass-through channels, and the same center threaded 3/8-16 hole (w/ pin holes). 

I love the idea of using a nano clamp! It would be totally easy to bolt an Ecto Plate directly to one of those clamps to add functionality. Also keep in mind that on the carbon fiber plates you've got two additional female threaded 1/4-20 holes built into the mounting block. This allows you to place the plate on the end of a clamp or noga arm and open up the kind of options you're talking about.

So psyched to hear you're into the designs. Hope to see you're pre order in my inbox soon!

best,

Jordan

19 hours ago, Mirror said:

Nice Jordan,  I love the entrepreneurial spirit.  Wishing you much success!

18 hours ago, Derek H said:

These are great. There’s never any real estate left on cameras for sound gear these days. 

Mirror and Derek! Thank you both SO MUCH for the kind words and support. Cheers!

• 2 months later...
On 6/17/2018 at 8:51 PM, Mirror said:

Nice Jordan,  I love the entrepreneurial spirit.  Wishing you much success!

On 6/17/2018 at 9:48 PM, Derek H said:

These are great. There’s never any real estate left on cameras for sound gear these days. 

Hi Everyone! Just wanted send you all my great appreciation for the early support and pre-orders. Thanks to your interest the first production run of Ecto Plates is now completed and we have inventory stocked on the website for immediate purchase:

https://www.backpackrig.com/ectoplate/

Would be overjoyed if anyone was interested in picking up a few of these!

Cheers,

Jordan Levie 

• 2 months later...

Hey @Jordan Levie, it would be cool if these were available at “the usual suspects” for people to see and demo (as well as purchase). There are probably more sound folks that do not read this forum that could be reached by having these in store. I think I know more people who do not read these threads than do, unfortunately. Just a thought.