Behringer tried to sue Dave Smith Instruments, forum posters

Jim Feeley

Peripheral to our concerns. But interesting (<-- note the extremely ambiguous and arguably neutral word choice):

Behringer tried to sue Dave Smith Instruments, forum posters

Peter Kirn - June 19, 2018

In addition to sending a cease-and-desist letter to a popular Chinese music gear site, court filings reveal Behringer tried to sue rival manufacturer Dave Smith Instruments – and unnamed GearSlutz users. And they lost.

We’re seeing the tail end of those filings now, as Dave Smith Instruments file to recover their six-figure legal costs from MUSIC GROUP, in effect for MUSIC GROUP having filed what the courts found to be a lawsuit without grounds.

Rest of the article, links to some legal documents, etc here:

http://cdm.link/2018/06/behringer-have-sued-dave-smith-instruments-forum-posters-for-defamation/

Ya, I have two pieces of Behringer kit. I got them a dozen years ago because a guy owed me some money and wanted to barter to settle. Don't use either (a small mixer and a cable tester), feel weird having them, should probably just trash them.

I'm willing to live with lots of business shenanigans. But past a certain point, I don't want to support companies that act in ways I don't like.

Am I a hypocrite? Yep, but there you go.

Seen in a pro audio shop years ago...

Beh-rin-ger (bear-en-jer)
v.
beh-rin-ger-ed, beh-rin-ger-ing, beh-rin-ger-des

v.tr.
1.  To cheat or defraud of money or property:
2. To obtain by fraudulent means:
     "Ted behringered money from the company".

v.intr.
To practice fraud as a means of obtaining money or property:
"Ted bought his Porsche by behringing unsuspecting people".

n.
The act or an instance of behringing:
"Ted said he was planning a behringer".

adj.
a. Having a defect; faulty: a defective appliance.
b. Marked by subnormal structure, function, intelligence, or behavior:
"Ted said that the compressor had a complete behringer and shut down".

(see also "Peaveyed")

(Apologies to Peavey)

5 hours ago, alenK said:

I think "reverse engineering" is supposed to mean more than "let's reverse the red and blue switches."

behringer-modeld-price.jpg

That price difference sure is something. But you look at what companies like Teenage Engineering, Korg, Novation, and a bunch of others are doing--making what seems to me innovative, or at least not totally derivative stuff and still making a buck or two--well it seems like Behringer could innovate more and still find a market.

I'll drop this now so we don't become a target...

I think that at this point, everyone is aware of the fact that Behringer has made their way by making cheap copies of already existing sound and music equipment. If you buy their products you are supporting their business practices. 

I’d like to one day get the Midas version of the X32, but I have mixed feelings about it because it is co produced by Behringer, and they did “reverse engineer” Dugan auto mix, cheeting our friend out of   his own work. 

My only thought is to continue to not support any such companies that try to make dishonest money off of the work of respectable people and manufacturers. 

On 6/20/2018 at 8:39 PM, Brian Liston said:

I've largely been able to avoid the Behringer stuff. But I do have an X-32. (Don't tell anyone)

The X32 was a turning point in Behringer's history, and they've started making products worthwhile having. (I just today had my Behringer X Touch arrive! So far my only Behringer product I own)

However it is very sad to see they're still doing stupid silly shenanigans like this :-/ 😞

They should also learn about The Streisand Effect, even if you really do feel people are defaming you, that still doesn't make it a good idea to sue them!! It just back fires. (back fires really bad in this case, as they're going to pay court costs, plus all the negative publicity from this)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect