50% EU import duties on US recording equipment !!

And just like that, a Cantar us looking that much more interesting. 

Although... a lot depends on the actual product code. While ghe categories in that attached document really seem like a good fit, there are other number which will also fit. It probably depends on the categories they‘ve been using before

15 hours ago, Mirror said:

IMG_0687.JPG.9e7ae6295f9961cb71e34781707

So the pursuit of a lower tariffed, globalised free-market economy is very potentially going to lead to a planet with high tariffs, 6-10% less global trade and a move away from free-market economics? It seems somewhat ironic, don't you think? 

I find the really interesting aspect of all of this the fact that the USA and China are heading in completely opposite directions. While the USA is threatening higher tariffs, China is gearing up to invest a trillion dollars on a 21st century Silk Road trade infrastructure network through 70 odd Asian, Middle-Eastern and European countries. Who knows where it will all lead... the result of this may well be a new world order. 

6 hours ago, Mirror said:

IMG_0687.JPG.9e7ae6295f9961cb71e34781707

When did Trump ever want to lower tariffs? He was the one who killed TTIP. This would have been a US-EU free-trade agreement that wasn’t yet a done deal. He still could’ve changed it if he thought it was a „bad deal“. 

And it certainly wasn’t a great deal, but at least everyone agreed on lower tariffs 

17 hours ago, Christian Spaeth said:

That's so... uncool. Remember not too long ago we were about to get rid of all import duties via the EU/USA trade agreement, and now this is where Trump has taken it.

I got a personal response to the above comment, didn't think people with that kind of intelligence are able to read this forum...

IMG_3058.PNG

Yes, there is a reason why Jeff closed the politics section. It unvariably turned ugly very quickly. 

Although in this case it got particularly ugly particularly quickly. 

And there is definetely a lot of blame to go around. Both the EU and the US decided to behave spectacularly dumb. Both now in the „trade war“ and before to even get us to this position. 

21 hours ago, LDstudios said:

I find the really interesting aspect of all of this the fact that the USA and China are heading in completely opposite directions.

USA was a superpower that is on a decline, while China is the rising superpower of the future. 
Completely opposite directions, one on the way up, the other on the way down and out. 

7 hours ago, ShubiSnax said:

But that was two weeks ago..... an eternity in the new political landscape! 😉

19 hours ago, IronFilm said:

USA was a superpower that is on a decline, while China is the rising superpower of the future. 
Completely opposite directions, one on the way up, the other on the way down and out. 

But that was two weeks ago..... an eternity in the new political landscape! 😉

I think it's a bit sad... when I think back not too long ago, the USA was this amazing dream of a free country, while the image it has now is indeed quite an ugly one unfortunately. BUt enough with the politics...

On 6/22/2018 at 7:40 PM, VAS said:

*knock knock

- Who's there?

- Your three friends

- Who?

- Aaton, Sonosax and Wisycom

This is no bueno situation.

Audio Limited is also going to be in the EU for at least a while, thankfully. Their transmitters probably qualify as portable recorders. If Zoom ups their game, they could be more viable in the EU, but I consider this unlikely. Still, I really like Sound Devices recorders. I wonder if American wireless gear is going to be affected? Zaxcom transmitters are also portable recorders. Thankfully dealers will probably have some stock for a while, so I consider it unlikely that everything American-made would suddenly become a lot more expensive.

I really don't want to go into my personal views about Trump's policies. This has been a polite forum as far as I've been concerned and I'd like it to remain that way. It's a shame that someone's losing their manners over a pretty much innocuous comment, shame on them.

Sound Devices has a branch in Germany, hopefully they have a lot of stock there. But in this case, they could probably send the recorder to Berlin in separate bits and pieces and only there would they turn it into a recorder. Not sure if that works legally, but it might

eehm, I'm a bit late at the party, and did NOT read the entire thread, and did NOT read the 1300 categories, but from the GearSlutz post:

85437005 Portable battery operated electronic readers for recording and reproducing text, still image or audio file: 50%.

I don't think a SD recorder is able to reproduce an audio file. Otherwise, strip the playback function and put that into a $1 add-on module sold seperatly.
Seems food for lawyers.

Back to regular nonsense now.

4 hours ago, Constantin said:

Sound Devices has a branch in Germany, hopefully they have a lot of stock there. But in this case, they could probably send the recorder to Berlin in separate bits and pieces and only there would they turn it into a recorder. Not sure if that works legally, but it might

Funny you suggest that. When I was a kid, I was told that the Citroen 2CV's I saw here in Northern California had been imported to the US disassembled and sold as kit cars in order to circumvent car safety and/or emissions standards. Don't know if that's true, but clever story. I do hope, however, that SD, Zax, and the rest don't need to take such measures. 

But will be interesting to see how people interpret the line Bouke quoted from the EU document (see near the bottom of page 15 of this PDF): 

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2018/may/tradoc_156909.pdf

On 6/23/2018 at 12:34 AM, Christian Spaeth said:

I got a personal response to the above comment, didn't think people with that kind of intelligence are able to read this forum...

Dang. I don't see the writer listed as a member of the forum (perhaps he just left the group?). Posts from JWS do show up in google searches, so a very dedicated activist/troll could just be looking for comments to react to. Disconcerting. At least one non-controversial online forum I visit blocks most discussions from internet searches; you have to be a member to read them and they don't show up on Google searches; a bummer but increasingly understandable.