Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
manuelchk

Schoeps mini CMIT

Recommended Posts

So... I’m buying the Schoeps mini CMIT with the Cinela Pianissimo.

 

My question is: is there any reason to buy the CMIT 5U instead? Filters are not needed with the cinela, the reach is the same, the mini is lighter, the cinela smaller... Same sound quality...

 

Just checking with you guys your experience.

 

thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some reports have suggested it is noticeably more vulnerable to swishing noise using a foam windshield (turbulence, air flow?) than a 5U, and a Rycote Baseball or such like may be necessary, thus reducing some of the weight reduction advantage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, manuelchk said:

So... I’m buying the Schoeps mini CMIT with the Cinela Pianissimo.

 

My question is: is there any reason to buy the CMIT 5U instead? Filters are not needed with the cinela, the reach is the same, the mini is lighter, the cinela smaller... Same sound quality...

 

Just checking with you guys your experience.

 

thanks!

 

The mini has a fixed 4th order low-cut filter at 70 Hz that is present, regardless if you need or want them. If you want to be able to turn it off, e.g. when you want to record low freq stuff or want to match it to a CCM8 in an M/S setup, you want the switching feature of the 5U.

Apart from that, as a rule of thumb bigger windscreens are less susceptible to wind than smaller ones.

 

2 hours ago, pindrop said:

Some reports have suggested it is noticeably more vulnerable to swishing noise using a foam windshield (turbulence, air flow?) than a 5U, and a Rycote Baseball or such like may be necessary, thus reducing some of the weight reduction advantage?

Not sure if you are referring to me. I have reported that it is vulnerable to swishing noise when used with the Rycote INV-Lite 21 indoor mount. I don't think the Mini vs the 5U are different regarding swishing noise in general. However, as stated above the Piano has probably a more windshielding effect than the Pianissimo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DanieldH said:

However, as stated above the Piano has probably a more windshielding effect than the Pianissimo.

 

possibly, but then again if one were to put the Mini in a full size Piano that might be even better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chrismedr said:

 

possibly, but then again if one were to put the Mini in a full size Piano that might be even better.

You loose 17g of weight by choosing a Mini in a Piano over a regular 5U. Thats the only difference I'd see. Or do you suggest that the mini's size allows a more favourable position inside a Piano?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DanieldH said:

You loose 17g of weight by choosing a Mini in a Piano over a regular 5U. Thats the only difference I'd see. Or do you suggest that the mini's size allows a more favourable position inside a Piano?

 

4 hours ago, DanieldH said:

Apart from that, as a rule of thumb bigger windscreens are less susceptible to wind than smaller ones.

 

I thought you answered that pretty well yourself 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Constantin said:

 

 

I thought you answered that pretty well yourself 

I did... confused though, why one would buy a mini + a piano. You either want it light and small or you want the big stuff that will be usable with maybe one Bft step more.

But to answer myself again, the Mini + Piano may be a bit more affordable than a 5U + Piano.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DanieldH said:

I did... confused though, why one would buy a mini + a piano. You either want it light and small or you want the big stuff that will be usable with maybe one Bft step more.

 

there are some really nice videos online where Philippe Chenevez talk about wind protection, and from what I understood one main factor is how much air is enclosed around the mic.

 

so let's say a 5U in a piano has 10cm of air around the mic, a Mini in a Pianissimo has 10cm to which give similar performance.

If you'd put a Mini in a Piano it would have a few cm more, thus likely better protection against wind noise (admittedly if you're booming close you'd loose some distance too).

 

but I agree the main decision should be do you prefer light and compact, or a bit larger heavier and with more options.

Chris

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×