HN-7506 or something else

nonisound

Hi,

I am preparing for a very loud set, and I am thinking of changing my HD26pro for something with more isolation from ambient noise. 

I was thinking to go for HN-7506, but If there is something else out there with a good isolation, I would be very happy to hear. 

Also,director and boom operators will be on the set exposed to water and rain and big fans for crating a wind ..., what would be recomedaton for this type of the closed headphones which are water resistent. Reaserhing google I found something that maybe will do the job. It is Gray Ghost Amphibian headphones. https://detectorpro.com/gray-ghost-amphibian-headphones-2/ 

Anyone had a chance to used them or something simulare to this. 

Thanks a lot 

Novica Jankov 

I was looking into this alot as well for recording in louder environments. From what I gather IEMs will provide you with the most isolation... The new HN 7506s feel pretty comfy too I must say.

I ended up settling on a pair of Sennheiser 280s, very affordable and they offer alot more isolation than your average pair of cans. I found them to be a nice middle ground in getting more isolation but not having to invest $4-700 in those mentioned above. Have been monitoring at way lower levels when I use them which is nice. 

For extensive rain I usually put my hood up over some old 7506s, but I'd imagine IEMs would be helpful for this as you could wear a rain hat/hood with no inconvenience.

I use HN7506s all the time for location music recording.  They make it possible to have at least some accurate idea of what I'm getting while being in the same room with the music, and were a big improvement over my home-made "aircraft-hearing-protector-with-cannibalized-Senn-drivers" phones that I used for decades.  But...if you have kind of a large head, the HNs can get pretty uncomfortable over a long set, your ears get pretty warm inside those enclosures and they are not light (they also do not have the usual Sony convertadapto-plug--1/4" only).  So I am kind of down to try some in-ears.  I rented in some Shures for the players in a show I worked this spring, they were far from the top of the line but sounded ok.  I like the idea of topping them with (comfortable) construction-type hearing protectors, and as was pointed out, you will never get correct bass-freq monitoring in a close-in music monitoring situation with any sort of headphones...that's why "recording trucks" were invented.  (Remember those?)

Great coments from everyone !

HN-7506 will be for sure  😉

Thanks a lot ! 

Maybe the solution for wind/rain/water scenario for boom op,director,... can be Avantree IPX7 Waterproof earbuds and when needed over them Earmuff for noise reduction.

I find my in ears with custom molds topped by a double cup construction protection to be the most effective and comfortable solution.  Of course comfort is a very personal thing.  Wether it's mixing a live rock band for broadcast from FOH (my least favorite place to do it), or recording race cars etc, I can actually hear what my mics are doing and get a reasonable mix.

On 7/7/2018 at 11:27 AM, Philip Perkins said:

I use HN7506s all the time for location music recording.  They make it possible to have at least some accurate idea of what I'm getting while being in the same room with the music, and were a big improvement over my home-made "aircraft-hearing-protector-with-cannibalized-Senn-drivers" phones that I used for decades.  But...if you have kind of a large head, the HNs can get pretty uncomfortable over a long set, your ears get pretty warm inside those enclosures and they are not light (they also do not have the usual Sony convertadapto-plug--1/4" only)...

Hi Phil,

For the last couple of years, the HN7506 phones have been available with the 1/8"-1/4" combo "unimate" plug. There are a variety of cable options, including quick release and built-in slate mic, but the least expensive cable option now uses the OEM Sony cable and connector.

Also, the headband, cup, and cushion assembly has change slightly, with a subtle difference having less pressure and more comfort. This latest version has the round logo like in the pic:

hn new logo.png

On 7/10/2018 at 3:13 PM, Glen Trew said:

Hi Phil,

For the last couple of years, the HN7506 phones have been available with the 1/8"-1/4" combo "unimate" plug. There are a variety of cable options, including quick release and built-in slate mic, but the least expensive cable option now uses the OEM Sony cable and connector.

Also, the headband, cup, and cushion assembly has change slightly, with a subtle difference having less pressure and more comfort. This latest version has the round logo like in the pic:

hn new logo.png

I guess I should re-up and retire my old ones, esp if the newer model is more comfortable for fat-heads like me!  I've never been crazy about the 7506 sound (esp comp to Senn) but I have so many hours under them now that change would be pretty disruptive, and I like that these are the same drivers as my normal headphones.  For those who must have Senn drivers, you can roll your own pretty easily--I still have a set I made from similar hearing protectors to what RA uses that I mounted Senn drivers in, it wasn't that hard to do, but of course then you are on your own for repairs and parts.

On 7/14/2018 at 7:19 AM, Glen Trew said:

Jeff Wexler, this forum needs a "like" button!

I wish I could like that....

On 7/16/2018 at 5:13 AM, Dalton Patterson said:

+1

Is the web forum equivalent of "Like" on facebook. 

However that degrades the Signal to Noise ratio in a thread. 

It is possible to implement a like feature for this forum, for instead EOSHD uses the exact same forum software and has got this feature enabled. 

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/forum/4-eoshd/