HN-7506 or something else

nonisound

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2018 at 1:32 AM, Ilari Sivil said:

Could it be possible to buy similar cans with HD-25 drivers? I'm personally not a fan of the 7506 sound, but I'd love to have more isolation from time to time.

Putting Sennheiser HD25 drivers in headphone cups would seem simple enough, but, without going into the many details, we've found that the result does not sound like Sennheiser HD25 phones.

9 hours ago, Glen Trew said:

Putting Sennheiser HD25 drivers in headphone cups would seem simple enough, but, without going into the many details, we've found that the result does not sound like Sennheiser HD25 phones.

Makes sense, Glen Trew, since the extant result does not to my ears sound much like the 7506's upon which the excellent HN-7506 headphones are based.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2018 at 6:25 AM, Jan McL said:

Makes sense, Glen Trew, since the extant result does not to my ears sound much like the 7506's upon which the excellent HN-7506 headphones are based.

Exactly, Jan. The HN7506 uses the same Foster Electric drivers used by Sony in the MDR7506, but the first attempts (about 15 years ago) were dismal. The most influential variable in those headphones is the effects of isolation, itself. Others include the distance that the drivers are from the ears, and the resonance of the cups, both of which must be different with isolation headphones. The HN7506 tries for the best balance of isolation and approximating the sound of the Sony MDR7506 so that we can go from one to the next while compromising our monitoring reference as little as possible. There are several thousand in use now, and a run of 50 is produced about every month.