Microdot to Lectro TA5 failure

BrianBinning

I’m just gonna leave this little random factoid of knowledge…

Inside the factory TA5f connectors is loc tite. If you hold a soldering iron on it for a minute or two, then it comes apart (unscrews) just like all TA5f connectors do. They also inject clear hot glue. If your really Savy and use soft nosed pliers, it’s possible to salvage the factory rear strain relief and rear of the TA5f( the female threads) then re terminate it into anTA4f or whatever. I went through this process but didn’t take good pictures. I really enjoyed the process of figuring out how DPA made their connectors. This isn’t the first time I’ve heard the microdot is the weak point, the strain relief, etc…

19 minutes ago, Dalton Patterson said:

I’m just gonna leave this little random factoid of knowledge…

Inside the factory TA5f connectors is loc tite. If you hold a soldering iron on it for a minute or two, then it comes apart (unscrews) just like all TA5f connectors do. They also inject clear hot glue. If your really Savy and use soft nosed pliers, it’s possible to salvage the factory rear strain relief and rear of the TA5f( the female threads) then re terminate it into anTA4f or whatever. I went through this process but didn’t take good pictures. I really enjoyed the process of figuring out how DPA made their connectors. This isn’t the first time I’ve heard the microdot is the weak point, the strain relief, etc…

Thanks, I've manage to open it up using 2 pairs of pliers but Im not sure where the fault is?

I can see there's at least one resistor soldered in place and another wire connected to the main ridgid rod centre that runs up to the back of the microdot connector

Did you find the same fault in the same place each time?

I don't have any photos, sorry.

The ones I had weren't "broken" but were no longer useful to us.  Our DPA mics tended to fail at the microdot connector and when that happened I hardwired them to TA5F.  Also the adapters we had were DAD-6012.  This was supposed to be the correct model for use with VHF transmitters, but it does not actually work for that application because it shorts the connector shell to pin 1 (the VHF transmitters use the audio shield as the VHF transmit antenna so the adapter shorts out the antenna).  The reason I opened them up was to attempt to rewire them as DAD-3056.  As I write this I am not 100% sure I ever tested them.

They were purchased many years ago so I can't say for sure where we bought them but I believe that they are genuine DPA.