Good price on 7506 headphones!

Jay Rose

While were on the topic of Amazon, I just heard a great podcast about their leniency with 3rd party vendors. Has definitely made me more weary of Amazon related purchases.

In the past overseas manufacturers had to go through US resellers, but as of 18 months ago they can sell direct on Amazon from their warehouses. Worth a listen!

https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/124

58 minutes ago, Dave Pullmer said:

While were on the topic of Amazon, I just heard a great podcast about their leniency with 3rd party vendors. Has definitely made me more weary of Amazon related purchases.

The worst problem in Amazon is counterfeit products. Several years ago I ordered some internal SAS cables (SAS, the up to date version of SCSI) and despite having LSI Logic (later Avago, now Broadcom) part numbers they turned out to be fake. Worst, I didn't notice that the connectors weren't real Molex parts.

When I had to remove the cables (I ordered them for a test, I was developing software for a storage system), to my horror, the connectors stuck like crazy. I needed an hour to destroy the "Moolex" connectors without damaging an expensive IBM SAS backplane. And Amazon are so deeply aware of their counterfeit problem, they didn't complain when I returned a completely ruined pair of cables for a refund. 

Last week I ordered the 7506 after the recommendations I read on this forum and seems they are not fakes :) But well, at some point I wondered wether it was wise to order a widely copied product from Amazon. 

2 hours ago, afewmoreyears said:

Mine just came... They are the real deal.. For sure..

For sure. I'm not doubting the link to the 7506s, I just find the situation interesting. Counterfit items, vendors paying people for fake reviews, and finding other creative ways for their products to show up in our feeds. Definitely more caution is required regarding who the seller is in today's Amazon...

3 hours ago, Christian Spaeth said:

that might also be their "customer is always right" policy... I've had Amazon refunds paid before I even returned an item.

Yes. But I confirmed they were fake. I am in touch with the LSI Logic staff, at that time I was helping debug some problems in SAS drivers and poking them to do it right ;) And later I could see the real parts with proper Molex connectors.

Anyway, not trying to smear anyone. The 7506s I ordered from Amazon.es last week are the real deal. Love them, when I was 16 I had a pair of MDR-v4 and they were very good. 

Compared to the Ultrasone (HFI-650) the sound is rather similar, with a bit less isolation but, as a plus, being much lighter and comfortable especially in Summer outdoors. 

3 hours ago, borjam said:

The 7506s ?...

Compared to the Ultrasone (HFI-650) the sound is rather similar, with a bit less isolation but, as a plus, being much lighter and comfortable especially in Summer outdoors. 

Really? Oh shit ... I have two pairs of 7506, and use them because they are very comfortable and perhaps 'bring problems to the fore'.

But they are the most (unpleasantly) coloured sounding pro phones I know. (And the isolation is dreadful).

Jez

7 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Really? Oh shit ... I have two pairs of 7506, and use them because they are very comfortable and perhaps 'bring problems to the fore'.

But they are the most (unpleasantly) coloured sounding pro phones I know. (And the isolation is dreadful).

By “similar sound” I should have said “similar properties”. Both are colored, indeed they wouldn’t be my choice to listen to music (I have HD600 at home for that), but the coloration somewhat helps to focus on details such as compression problems, which makes them useful.

The Ultrasone HFI-650 have better isolation but being heavier, bulkier and in somewhat high temperatures you can feel your ears cooking after an hour or two.

The confusing thing with Ultrasone is the model proliferation. It’s a young company and there are so many models.

And some of their bananas pseudoscience marketing claims about confined magnetic fields and effects on health don’t help. Anyway, the

HFI 650 have been for me for several years and I have used them in lots of concerts with good results.

Sorry my thread turned into a religious war. I just wanted to point out a bargain.

I have heard, from Amazon (as an associate and author) and from news sources, that they're starting to tighten up on counterfeits and ban the sellers.

Of course dodgy sellers can simply give themselves a new business name and try again... but that's a problem with most of today's modern services, from spam phone calls to FaceBook. In general, things sold by Amazon themselves (rather than shipping as a fulfillment house or just relaying the order to someone else) are legit... they probably don't want the liability.