Anyone had experience with Lectrosonics 190 series?

100cl

They're not frequency agile. And the receivers are don't have antenna diversity. (but the UCR195D does, that is what the "D" stands for: diversity)

But if you're being offered them at a crazy low price (such as say half of what a secondhand G3 might go for?) then I might not say no to it?! Maaaaybe

However you wouldn't ever ever want them to be the only wireless in your kit, as that very old stuff just has far too many downsides to it. 

Realistically speaking, the minimum Lectrosonics you should look at is the 200 series. 

Very selective receiver with narrow front end using helical resonators. Selective IF using crystal filters. The most RF selective, bullet proof, single frequency receiver we ever made but note the word "single" frequency. If somebody is on the same frequency, you can not change to a different frequency. Also, the local oscillator crystal is not as shock proof as newer frequency agile units so dropping these on concrete is chancy. The repair would be equal to the used cost (or more) of these units. There are some users running them as backup units. Of course there are still a lot of 185 VHF systems still in operation.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher 

I rode my 185s well into the UHF age.  Bill Ruck used to say that they basically ended his RF maintenance business, since they required far less frequent tuning (on a bench) than the wirelesses we had prior to those.  I still miss those tiny, rugged RX.   The long antennas, not so much.  1 9v batt for the RX!!

I still have a 187 system. Couldn't sell it for squat. And as Rick says, VHS feels wide open these days; it's gotten me out of a couple jams. Also, I have the stick TX for it.

Like Larry implies (and btw, 100cl, Larry is the retired head of Lectro, so he knows what he's talking about), I don't think I'd add another 180 or 190 series system to my collection. If money's tight and you want Lectro, maybe look at a used 200-series system...like a 211 receiver and a UM200C transmitter...in an appropriate frequency block for where you work.

1 hour ago, Philip Perkins said:

+1 anything 200-onward.  Later Lectros (hybrid) sound better to me than 211s etc, but range wise I never noticed a diff with my 411, SR etc stuff.  200s use A LOT of power, is the main downside.

Indeed, the UCR200 was a pretty decent hand warmer. We had good use reports from Siberia; not so good from Panama.

The UCR205 and higher 2xx numbers used switching power supplies and, shall we say, more careful design to reduce the current draw by half and the power draw at higher input voltages by even more. 

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

VHF was never a good choice in our busier cities here also the

propagation of VHF is not as reliable as UHF when there are obstacles.

I did run a 4 pack of 195D's from 1997 till frequency changes forced me

to sell them (plus two 200 channels) about 5 years ago.

I now have 6 x 400 kits plus 4 x MM400 kits

The digital generation of Lectrosonics units perform so well but it's a

shame that in NZ we continue to face frequency changes and struggling

around the ever increasing DTV channels.

mike

Edited by mikewest
addition

54 minutes ago, mikewest said:

The digital generation of Lectrosonics units perform so well but it's a

shame that in NZ we continue to face frequency changes and struggling

around the ever increasing DTV channels.

I really hope our government doesn't sell off the 600MHz block like there is the talk of them maybe considering doing, as if they do then we've got very few places left to go.

Yes, I know about that, makes sourcing secondhand 600MHz gear cheaper for me! 😉
But we lack the same room for everyone to move elsewhere into 500MHz like there is in the USA if we were to lose our 600MHz block.

Worth a read these submissions if you're curious as to what is going on in New Zealand with our 600MHz wireless frequencies:

https://www.rsm.govt.nz/projects-auctions/current-projects/preparing-for-5g-in-new-zealand/folder-600-mhz-band-and-radio-microphones/Radio microphones and 600 MHz band - with attachments included.pdf