Wiring X1-x2 sound devices output to ew100 transmitter.

alidav

1 hour ago, alidav said:

What is the correct  way to wire the x1 output from sound devices 664 to a sennheiser ew100 g2-g3.

I am going to to minixlr 2 to ring, 3 to ring and 1 to sleeve, is it correct?

Yes that's the correct way to feed a line level signal to a G2/3. If you run into any sound issues then connect pin 3 to the sleeve also to make an unbalanced input to the transmitter.

Here's what Sennheiser says about wiring a line input for a G3.
image.png
I think you should also tie pin3 on the TA3 to sleeve/shield. I've just been using the L/R outputs with Sennheiser's line input cables. When I've wired XLR to TA3 adapters, I've just done them number-to-number, as simply as possible and everything has worked as intended, so I consider TA3 wiring equivalent to XLR. The safe bet would be to find an XLRf to TRSm cable by Sennheiser and see how they do it, then just do the same thing with a TA3 instead of an XLR on the other end.

• 1 year later...

I have a remote audio cable bought at trew audio, and tip is connected to the tA3 2 pin, and sleeve to the 1. So it is wired ad for mic input level on the g2-g3 trasmitter. But to feed audio to headphones wouldnt  be more appropriate to be on line levels?

Don’t know what you mean by feed audio to headphones. The point is to modulate the transmitter correctly. Doesn’t matter what’s happening on the receiver end of said transmitter. 

The right way to do line input on a G2/3/4 transmitter from a Sound Devices TA3 output is this:

pin 1 —-> TRS sleeve & TRS tip

pin 2 —-> TRS ring

pin 3 —-> do not connect (float)

This is per studying both the sound devices and g2 user manual. A lot of people will say ground pin 3 but that’s usually true only for transformer balanced outputs, (full size XLR outs on most sound devices mixers). The user manual for the 664 for example will tell you to float pin 3 for an unbalanced output via the TA3s. 

I just made this very cable about a week ago and it works great. When you send tone to the G3 set it so the level is at about 1/4 up the meter, not halfway or you’ll clip. Usually about -47 on a G3.