Deva 16 / Fusion 12 TC Problems ...

Martin Jelovsek

Hi guys,

I have just encountered 2 strange problems regarding TC with which I am going slightly mad.

1. - I wanted to connect two recorders together (one is Deva 16 the other Fusion 12) so I could record with the same TC but I cannot get the TC signal from one recorder to another.

But if I use the same cable and connect the external slate - Denecke TS-C I get the signal in ... And if then I use the same cable (just turn it around) and use the output from the slate to the device (Deva or Fusion) I get the TC signal into the recorder.

I just cannot get the signal from one recorder to another.

2. Then I wanted to connect the TC box (I have Timecode Buddy Pulse) so recorder would be master and then would jam the external box. I do not get any signal out of the recorder ... Again I tested it with the Denecke slate in between and everything works...

Now I suspect that something is going on with the signals (could it be that it is too hot?) but I have no idea if that is the case ...

Martin

While at the studio today, I ran t.c. out from one Deva V directly into another — it worked fine.  

Mirror is correct re: Continuous Jam.  

Of course, make sure both frame rates match.  

Have you tried running both Deva to Fusion and Fusion to Deva?  Are the results the same? 

Have you tried a different cable?  If all the settings are correct, I'm suspecting the way the cable is wired. 

John yes I have tried everything I could think of ... The funny thing is that if I use the same cable and use it to jam slate and then use slate as master and jam the recorders back ... it works ... with the same cable ... It just does not work between the recorders ... I tried in both directions ...

Martin

It might be a different cable that (temporarily)  scared the gremlin away. I was chasing his brother once and the actual problem is in fact within the recordewr, a blown choke on the TC ground path, to be exact. If a cable is wired without the shield connected on both sides (which is the technically correct way, as it eliminates ground loop, btw.) there is no ground connection and no siognal - whiich wpould explain the working slate. If a cable has connector to shield on both ends, the chassis will take care of signal ground and tc in will work. This may also be the case if signal ground is established in any other way e.g. a common power supply for recorder and TC box, which seems plausible in case of a Pulse (hey, am I actually doing TCS support here? ;) )