Nagra ARES C-PP - opinions?

tapesmith

Hi folks, I'm new here.  I found the site reading the "Nagra stories sound-men won't ever tell" thread and all of the wonderful information in that thread, so thought I would ask the experts about the Nagra ARES C-PP (the rack mount version of the C).  I have an opportunity to acquire one fairly inexpensively (~$350USD) and could use a two-channel solid-state recorder for some of my transfer work.  Please share your experiences with this piece of gear and your opinions regarding its value proposition at that price would be appreciated.

-Steve

The Ares C-PP is a nice unit, but probably not really suited for practical use nowadays. It has a number of drawbacks:

1) It only record in MPEG I Layer II. And only 64, 128 or 192 kb/s

2) It records on PCMCIA cards (which are rare and with low capacity)

3) Import/export is only possible using proprietary Kudelski software, compatible "up to" XP

For that price I would definitely buy it, but it is not ideal for practical use, unfortunately. 

8 minutes ago, dela said:

For that price I would definitely buy it, but it is not ideal for practical use, unfortunately. 

Fortunately, it does include a 32GB Compact Flash card, but the use of Windows XP for software compatibility is a major drawback.  I may, perhaps, make a lower offer as it's a clean looking piece.  Thank you, Lars, for the informative reply.