Jump to content
Philip Perkins

New wireless TX deviation rules October '18

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Constantin said:

So the new wideband transmitters are what, maybe a year old? Or less? If I understand this correctly the new deviation rules have been known to manufacturers for at least two years. And the new ones don’t have a mode already to accommodate this?

 

The new specs were not finally set by the FCC until July last year - the original specs (announced in 2015) were impossible to meet for a battery powered design.  The four manufacturers (Lectro, Sennheiser, Shure and Audio Technica) who were actively engaged with the FCC appealed various aspects of those specs (including power, deviation, spurious emissions etc)  and  in December of 2015 and did not get a final answer until July of 2017.   The wide band units started R&D well before then (in 2015).  By the time the new regs were settled, the widebands were already at the labs.

 

Remember, the wider deviation can still be used by YOU.  Your existing 500MHz gear is unaffected.  We, as manufacturers, are getting told to stop making old spec gear this year.  We could NOT include the ETSI mask in the transmitter because the the new specs were not final until last July - then we had to (re)develop the units to meet that spec.  The test labs had to learn the new spec and develop testing procedures.  Additionally, the FCC won't allow a new spec transmitter to HAVE both deviations in it.   It would have been VERY premature to make any announcements until we were confident of the new rules and had solutions lined up.

  

 

On 8/1/2018 at 4:29 PM, Sound Intuition said:

Is this for any new units made by manufactures in the US regardles of domestic or foreign sale? Are you still able to sell 75khz trx's outside of the US?

 

BIll

 

  

Depends on the country - the US was rather unique in allowing the wider deviation - most countries are at 50Khz or less.   It's messy.  And every country has its own testing/certification process (read expen$ive) . 

We would love to see a common standard so one product would be OK world wide - I would also like to have a microwave refrigerator - the chances of either wish are about equal.....  

 

Addendum - I first mentioned this in a post on May 6 of 2016 - in the same thread Rado even posted the link to the FCC regulations (pre appeal version). 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Gordonmoore1 said:

Addendum - I first mentioned this in a post on May 6 of 2016 - in the same thread Rado even posted the link to the FCC regulations (pre appeal version). 

 

Snap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This also means new US transmitters (with 50 KHz deviation) will work with EU receivers (vice versa they already do). Not sure about legal issues but technically it should work. Maybe as a consequence companies like Lectro won't have to make different US and EU versions anymore? (Thus saving R&D and time)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have had people asking us about their Zaxcom gear after reading this thread. Here is some more information.

 

All current and future Zaxcom products are compatible with each other. Any purchase of new gear will work with the current gear in the field as long as the receiver is newer than the QRX200. This includes QRX200, QRX235, RX200 and RX12 with QRX212 receivers. Zaxcom ZHD96 and ZHD48 modulations exceed the new requirements from the FCC. Zaxcom wireless audio quality is not effected by the changes in the rules due to the nature of digital wireless transmission and the ZHD system we put in place a few years ago. Zaxcom TRX3.6 and ZMT3.6 transmitters can be changed to 3.5 versions without limitation as these versions all exceed the new FCC requirements.

 

Glenn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, glenn said:

We have had people asking us about their Zaxcom gear after reading this thread. Here is some more information.

 

All current and future Zaxcom products are compatible with each other. Any purchase of new gear will work with the current gear in the field as long as the receiver is newer than the QRX200. This includes QRX200, QRX235, RX200 and RX12 with QRX212 receivers. Zaxcom ZHD96 and ZHD48 modulations exceed the new requirements from the FCC. Zaxcom wireless audio quality is not effected by the changes in the rules due to the nature of digital wireless transmission and the ZHD system we put in place a few years ago. Zaxcom TRX3.6 and ZMT3.6 transmitters can be changed to 3.5 versions without limitation as these versions all exceed the new FCC requirements.

 

Glenn

 

Means this that the QRX100 and RX4900/RX900 does not comply with the new regulations? (And TRX900AA, TRX900LA, TRX2.5....)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ramallo said:

 

Means this that the QRX100 and RX4900/RX900 does not comply with the new regulations? (And TRX900AA, TRX900LA, TRX2.5....)

 

 

Keep in mind that the regs are for transmitters, not receivers, and also does not affect the units you already have. 

 

i.e. The sky is not falling -- it's just been lowered incrementally for manufacturers. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

 

Keep in mind that the regs are for transmitters, not receivers, and also does not affect the units you already have. 

 

i.e. The sky is not falling -- it's just been lowered incrementally for manufacturers. 

 

 

My question also had transmitters (between brackets)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ramallo said:

 

My question also had transmitters (between brackets)

 

Yes, and the models you listed are ones a person would already have (as they've been superceded), so therefore, the new ruling does not apply to them. 

 

As I understand it, this ruling pertains to what manufacturers and dealers can sell after the date of implementation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Blankenship said:

 

 Yes, and the models you listed are ones a person would already have (as they've been superceded), so therefore, the new ruling does not apply to them. 

  

 As I understand it, this ruling pertains to what manufacturers and dealers can sell after the date of implementation. 

 

Just was a question to the manufacturer, even the new models are older than the new rules.

 

In other hand, old and new have to mono modulations (Apart of HD that are narrower), US and EU, IMMO almost the EU could work with the new rules. I don't know about XR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ramallo said:

 

Just was a question to the manufacturer, even the new models are older than the new rules.

 

In other hand, old and new have to mono modulations (Apart of HD that are narrower), US and EU, IMMO almost the EU could work with the new rules. I don't know about XR

 

Apparently, I'm not sure what your question is.  Will manufacturers adjust their products to meet requirements?  No doubt they will.  Will you be able to continue to use gear you already have?  Yes, you will! 

 

Beyond that, we'll need to wait and see as the dust settles.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

 

Apparently, I'm not sure what your question is.  Will manufacturers adjust their products to meet requirements?  No doubt they will.  Will you be able to continue to use gear you already have?  Yes, you will! 

 

Beyond that, we'll need to wait and see as the dust settles.

 

 

I don't have (still) any problem, I'm in Europe. But I have the curiosity about my Zax tramsmitters/receivers (TRX2.5 and TRX900LT I'm poor). Curiosity about the US mono, EU Mono and XR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×