SD MixPre 10T Boot Up Firmware Anomaly - On Firmware Version 2.21

Dave

Hi All,

Hope everyone is well :-)

Just a quick check in to see if anyone has experienced this on your Sound Devices units, whether MixPre series or other.

I recently updated my MixPre 10T's firmware to the current 2.21 version. I used the standard method of downloading the firmware update file to my MixPre SD card, using a card reader. I then inserted the SD card back into the MixPre and ran the firmware update - it completed and machine booted up in new 2.21 firmware. I then reformatted the SD card and backup USB card in the MixPre in order to erase/remove the firmware update file and generally reset and refresh the card. So far, so good.

Soon thereafter, every time I would boot up the 10T, usually after a time of being powered down for a few hours or overnight, I would get the immediate pre-boot-up message "new firmware detected - updating now". The machine would then run through a "false" firmware update routine and after supposed completion would reboot itself and start up normally, though with the more frequent additional "timecode was reset" message. Thinking that this is weird because there was no firmware update file present on either of the MixPre's media cards - I had just erased and reformatted them.

Next, I removed both media cards from the MixPre (main SD card and secondary USB backup card). After a period of time, (hours or even overnight) the unit sat in powered off mode with one or both hirose wall power adapter or charged L-mount battery in sled present.   Upon booting the machine for the first time of the day, I still was receiving the message "new firmware detected - updating now" message. Once again, it would run the un-instigated update routine, reboot, briefly display the "timecode was reset" message and then appear to be back to normal.

I wonder why the unit is thinking it detects new firmware when there is no firmware file available to it without any cards being present. Yesterday, I removed the L-mount battery/sled and connected only hirose wall power but this time left it connected (but powered off) much longer, overnight. Upon booting today from the same wall power connection, I haven't yet received the false firmware update message. I have turned the machine off and on quite a few times today at random intervals and have not seen the message reappear, which I believe is good news so far.

I must also mention that early in this testing, I executed a factory "reset" of the unit, as suggested by Sound Devices - no luck - issue persisted.

Tomorrow, I plan on disconnecting hirose wall power and mounting L-mount battery sled with a single freshly charged battery. I will then power on and off at random intervals to see if the anomaly reappears and if there is a pattern of behavior.

I am wondering if there is an internal software glitch in the machine's built-in hardware memory, current firmweare file or an internal system battery issue that may be brought on by not having hirose power applied at regular intervals? I believe that this was a known concern with the timecode selection being grayed out and unavailable.

The underlying thing is, that in addition to a concern of general operating instability, the delay in being quickly "record ready", due to the extended Firmware update - boot-up routine" is worrisome.

Sound Devices has offered to examine the machine, which is great. After fiddling with my own different tests, I'll probably send it in. I welcome hearing if anyone has any thoughts or has experienced anything similar.

Thanks kindly everyone - keep well:-)

Cheers,

Dave

• 1 month later...

I was getting that firmware update too but that seems to have stopped but I still sometimes get the Timecode was reset message. Did you find out why? I've had a quite a few problems with my Mix Pre 10T. Powering off unexpectedly, not copying across the USB, BNC connections coming loose. It's been a bit of a worry so far. All under warranty so hopefully everything will get sorted.

Hello Dave,

We are aware of this firmware warning, and this boot-issue seems to be more common when powering from AA batteries that are not fully-charged.  I see that you have experienced this with L-Mount batteries as well.  As you have discovered, when booting via an external 10-18-volt power supply, the warning does not present itself.  If you are wiling to send your MixPre-10T to Sound Devices, we would certainly be interested in taking a look at it.  Please feel free to set up a case on our website, and we will proceed from there!  I really appreciate your valuable troubleshooting!

Best regards,

Danny Greenwald

Hi Dave (& Danny), After a recent trip away with the Mix Pre 10T and encountering problems and I've done my own set of testing over the past 3 or 4 days and this is what I have found out so. Same as Dave, after an extended period of being off say more that 4 or 5 hours it goes through the firmware update routine and the timecode generator reset message appears every time after that, that the unit is restarted. I've found that if you go into the time code menu, select time of day, go out of that menu, then go back into it again and select another timecode option (for me I am using the timecode in via the AUX in connection) it will then power on and off within a period of say 4 or 5 hours without that message, after that, the timecode reset message will reappear. My operator on the recent job also noted that the unit was powering itself off and then rebooting. This was happening with two charged L-Series batteries. The problem seem to disappear if we changed over to the V-Lock battery and then powered via the HiRose connector. I am wondering now if the rebooting issue was the firmware update issue.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks kindly for sharing your experiences re: the MixPre 10T on firmware 2.21.

Here's my latest situation : Re: the following message occurring on 10T bootup (even without firmware update file present - removed SD card) : " New Firmware Detected - Updating" after which unit restarts automatically :

After experiencing this false firmware update routine with L mount batteries and even with being plugged in via hirose wall power, I tried removing all battery power (took the sled right out). I then connected the SD hirose wall power adapter and left it plugged into the wall for just over 24 hours, with the MixPre shut down.

After the lengthy charge, I then booted the unit, still on wall power and I did not get the false firmware update message/routine. I first tried booting with no SD card or USB stick in the machine - booted fine. Inserted SD card and again - all normal. Added USB stick and all ok. Went on L mount battery power only and again - all ok.

I have had the MixPre stored for approx 3 weeks with 1 fully charged L mount battery and sled in place and have booted it randomly a few times every other day or so. Still ok - no firmware update message.  So from what I gather, ever since I gave the unit a deep and full wall power charge, it has been acting normally.

Is there a small internal battery inside the MixPre that hold a small charge to preserve settings?  Perhaps an issue with this??

Regarding the "timecode was reset" message upon boot up - if I'm not mistaken I believe I finally read in the manual that this is expected if you are set to "time of day" timecode setting - correct?

I'm going to record some lengthy material this week and run down the L-mount battery and then see what happens. Will let you know.  Thanks Danny for your offer that I send in my unit. I may take you up on that soon but for the moment can't be without my machine right now.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to the new 3.0 firmware - sounds very cool :-)

Thanks guys. Will chat again soon... keep well.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for that update. I don't have the wall power for my unit but perhaps I'll try the V-Lock via hirose and leave it connected for a couple of days and see if it makes a difference. The timecode message seems to be almost random. Regardless of whether or not the timecode is to time of day or aux in or whatever it still comes up with the timecode message reset, more often after a long period of being turned off. Perhaps that's also something to do with the internal battery? That one is definitely a glitch as far as I can make out. Like you, I can't send mine off and be without it for 3 weeks which is the turn around time here. Hopefully the new firmware will sort all these issues out. Prior to the current update it was actually really good except for a couple for a couple of issues. Keep me posted if you find out anything else.

• 5 months later...

I got my MixPre 10T on 2-12-19 preloaded with Firmware 3.02, Build 06.

Right away I tried running some real production projects as tests with the AA sled (FYI, using the AA for real recording is a very bad idea. The recorder failed on me more than once due to less than 1 hour operating time. Only use AA sled in emergencies, or to keep unit powered on while switching power to the Hirose).  I got the false firmware upgrade message several times (I think at least 5 times).  And I got the "timecode was reset" message at least twice.

Then I stopped using the 10T at all and switched to a laptop with an audio interface.  In the meantime I purchased a 12V wall power to Hirose, and the L-mount battery sled with fairly high capacity L-style batteries.  However, I'm scared to use the 10T now in a real production situation.  I need to be able to count on it functioning.  FWIW, I turned it on today for the first time with my new wall power and L-mount sled and have not seen the false firmware or timecode reset message yet.

So what's the verdict from those of you who are using the 10T?  Can I rely on solid recordings and solid Timecode sync?  I really can't use this promising recorder if it can't be relied on, although I'm a small operation and I don't know if I can justify purchasing a much more expensive pro recorder.

What battery chemistry were the AAs you were using? I’ve had a MixPre 10T since December (primarily as a backup recorder), and loaded the tray with lithiums. I’ve only used it for about an hour off those batteries, but the unit is still showing full battery. I haven’t found an actual percentage readout, nor have I checked the voltage with a multimeter, but I sort of assumed alkaline batteries wouldn’t be up to snuff.

Hi All,

MixPre 10T - Firmware 3.02    Yes, same here with AA alkaline batteries - pretty much useless except in dire emergency or just to keep a temporary power trickle. I tried "off the shelf" AA alkalines  in my 10T when I first got it - recording one track only as a test - brand new AA batteries depleted completely in 10 minutes with single channel with P48.

Now using L mount sled, usually with one L-mount battery. Good runtime - haven't timed it with continuous long take recording and more than 2 simultaneous tracks, with phantom on - L- mounts and sled are what seems best when mobile, unless you have other main bag power system.

Regarding the "firmware" update anomaly -  after testing, I do agree that the cause of the erroneous firmware update procedure points to a depleted or low internal system battery. My unit didn't produce the false firmware update message when I gave the 10T a long (overnight) deep charge from a hirose wall power adapter. 

However, after not using the 10T for a few weeks (in fully charged state), the internal system battery must have depleted again and upon next power up, the firmware error message was back again.   I recharged overnight again via hirose wall power and haven't seen the message again.... yet.

Regarding the "timecode generator was reset" message ..... I'm still getting this upon boot up no matter whether unit is fully charged, on batteries or even hooked into wall power. I do have "timecode" currently set to "time of day" and I do recall that the "reset" message might be normal in the time of day mode.

The big issue I feel is that if you are out in the field and don't have access to wall power, you might not be able to rectify the false firmware update message. 

Question for Sound Devices - is there a problem with the internal system batteries not holding or drawing a reasonable charge even when connected to a fully charged L-mount caddy and being powered off for short or long durations?

I'm seeing this issue appearing with other 10T users over here : see thread started by George Vlad, February 21 at 1:22 AM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mixpre/

Hope Sound Devices can keep on top of why a "new Firmware Detected - Updating now... "  message keeps appearing on boot-up even when there is no firmware file present on either the SD or USB cards.... something funky going on with that and does make you nervous when out in the field and not wanting to deal with unexpected anomalies.

Cheers,

Dave

Update: I’m now also experiencing the “Updating Firmware” snag, as well as a few other errors like TC/Wordclock being disabled and “Media Too Slow.” I haven’t plugged into external power for very long, but the machine currently does it each time with no SD card present and no AA battery tray connected, just external power. Definitely making me extremely nervous about using the unit in the field....

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

I believe I finally have a bit of a handle on the MixPre 10T firmware update error message :  if the machine has been sitting unused/un-powered for an extensive length of time with a low or depleted internal system battery, the firmware update error seems to frequently reoccur. The greyed out timecode menu seems to happen under these conditions too.

If I understand correctly, the small internal system battery only gets recharged when the unit is powered on. I kept plugging the 10T into wall power via hirose overnight or days at a time, but with power turned OFF.    I assume that the internal system battery wasn't getting recharged when machine power state was OFF. Therefore I kept getting the errors. 

If the 10T isn't used or charged/powered up regularly the depleted battery induces the errors. To address the issues, I  charged the unit from hirose wall power with the 10T TURNED ON. I believe doing this overnight "power on" charge, managed to get the internal system battery up to a decent level, and since then I have have not had the firmware update error message or greyed out timecode menu button.  Not sure if charging the 10T internal system battery via L-mount batteries works as readily as hirose charging but will try that just to know.

I'm not sure how long a system battery will hold an adequate charge before depleting or needing another good amount of charging. Once I gave the internal system battery a good charge, my unit has sat unused for weeks but so far no errors when turned on from time to time.

I think it's normal and expected that the timecode is reset after a 4 hour period, so when I power up again on a new day, I do get the "timecode was reset" message.

So, try giving your unit a really good charge for a reasonable  duration, hours or overnight with the machine turned "ON", probably most effectively via hirose power of some sort (wall or battery). Hope that works for your issue.

Curious to see what others experience.

Cheers,

Dave

• 1 month later...

I've seen this firmware update issue in the past, although it has been a while (now on 3.03).

The "timecode generator was reset" message has bitten me quite a few times. I always got it to work in the end, but have lost quite some time with it and it didn't give much confidence.

My conclusion after months of wondering, was that it probably had something to do with the recorder not on external power upon startup. Our MixPre10T is always running via Hirose on NP1 batteries. There are Eneloop AA batteries in the sled, just for backup and to keep it running while changing a NP1. However sometimes a NP1 might be sitting not well in its sled without me noticing, when powering up the recorder. It would then power up on AA batteries and I noticed this definitely was a reason for the "timecode generator was reset" message appearing. However I've also seen it even with the NP1 connected. Powering up a second time then mostly solved it.

I never found anything about this on the interenet, until I stumbled upon this thread now. Dave you might be on to something with the charging. I mentioned the issue to my dealer, but he hadn't heard of it before. Did you ever get in touch with Sounddevices about this? Unfortunately I didn't have time to go talk to them at IBC last week.

On 3/7/2019 at 12:57 PM, Dave said:

Yes, same here with AA alkaline batteries - pretty much useless except in dire emergency or just to keep a temporary power trickle. I tried "off the shelf" AA alkalines  in my 10T when I first got it - recording one track only as a test - brand new AA batteries depleted completely in 10 minutes with single channel with P48.

Have you tried Eneloops/LADDA? As I've always found alkaline batteries in a recorder (any type, any brand!) to be quite pathetic. 

But quality rechargeables (such as Eneloops/LADDA) are: better for your pocketbook, better for the environment, and good enough to at least long enough as a handy back up power source in the recorder. 

• 11 months later...

It's been a while since the last post in this thread, but I'd like to bring it back to life. Unfortunately, in my recently purchased Mixpre 10 T (I am running 7.10 firmware) fake firmware update is still a problem. After few hours of being turned off "New firmware..." message pops up when I turn it on.

I bought my Mixpre 10T only few days ago as a second hand one and I guess it wasn't used for a while (seller's "hardly used" phrase wasn't a BS after all).

I have tried to give it a charge with wall power unit via hirose and than 8AA Eneloops to recharge the internal battery. Still, after some time being unused, the dreaded message appears and for several minutes the unit is actually useless.

Today (31st of August 2020) I have received a very annoying, generic reply from Sound Devices and an offer of sending it in for repair at a "bargain" price of 250 pounds 😕  For God's sake Sound Devices! You had 2 years to fix it since 2018, but you're still trying to milk clients from their cash - it's a pretty large amount given how much you sell them recorders for. 

All that makes me slightly disappointed with SD and frankly - if I ever get to Scorpio level (in terms of what I can afford), I might go Zaxcom or Sonosax way instead.   

Hi Everyone, Sorry to hear about your MixPre 10T bootup firmware issue. I'm the original poster about this issue, I think.

Same experience as you.  Sound Devices were/are aware of this and wanted me to send my unit in, which I couldn't do.

I agree that having the MixPre go into an unnecessary firmware update needlessly wastes time booting up, especially if you're needing to record audio immediately...a real pain.

Not sure if there is an underlying hardware problem- Sound Devices kind of avoided this possibility.

Anyhow, here's what I think is the "problem"... kind of : I don't use my MixPre daily or regularly. So it sits in the bag without being powered up for weeks sometimes. 

When I do power up again, if the internal system battery has discharged quite a bit I'll get the "New firmware detected" message on boot up and false update procedure. If the system battery charge is still somewhat ok, I won't get the firmware issue, but will get the "timecode was reset" message which I believe is normal if unit has been powered off for 4 hours plus.

So, what I did was plug into wall power using the SD hirose wall power adapter and leave the machine turned on. It's essential that you leave the unit "on" when charging the system battery as it won't charge when MixPre is off - I didn't know this and the firmware thing kept happening. Seems weird that you can't just plug a MixPre in and have it charge the battery while turned off. Wish the manual was better and maybe mentioned this. 

As well, forget about AA batteries to charge the system battery... they barely power the unit. Fully charged L-mount batteries on the sled might juice the system battery enough to alleviate the firmware thing but I would highly recommend a good deep hirose wall mount adapter charge for a good few hours or better still overnight...leave the MixPre "on" though.

If you use your MixPre daily and keep your unit fully/mostly charged all the time whether through L-mount batteries or wall power, the firmware thing should go away. 

It is dumb that a low charge can even cause this error - doesn't make any sense and I agree it should be "properly" addressed by SD.

I hope it's just caused by a low/depleted system battery and not any hardware flaw. Maybe a batch of crappy system batteries were built in but Sound Devices hasn't said anything.

Lastly, when I want info that is very specific to a MixPre or any SD product, for that matter, I absolutely HATE that Sound Devices has no running FAQ or decent troubleshooting info on their website. They rely so much on the horrible Facebook group crapola. This bugs me so much that it would really deter me from buying another SD product if another competitors' product had proper FAQ support. And the manual isn't very helpful as far as use scenarios...no mention of how-to audio for video streaming. Had to dug through Facebook junk to find a skimpy bit of video with zero step by step clarity...blah.

Anyhow, let us know how you make out and if you learn anything further.

Cheers, Dave