Production company scam?

Jeff Hall

A couple of days ago I received an unsolicited text from an Asian production company's interest in hiring me for a week this month. The tone and wording seemed way off, but I responded with my resume, website, and demo reel to see where it would go. Essentially, they want me to work on a "trial basis", and then, if accepted, pay me a beyond ridiculous rate.

This has scam written all over it. I seem to recall a similar MO a couple of years ago from a guy who called himself a wedding photographer.

Anyone else had this experience? Not sure what their angle is, but it's totally fishy.

47 minutes ago, Jeff Hall said:

This has scam written all over it. I seem to recall a similar MO a couple of years ago from a guy who called himself a wedding photographer. 

Anyone else had this experience?

- I had similar experience about a year ago, this person (also a wedding photographer) went so far as to send me a fraudulent check (third-party) for COD gear. I think they got my name for the Mandy directory.Upon investigating, the wedding photographer's name he was using had passed away.. He also stated a semi-local production company, whom I notified, but they never had any contact with him.

Good point, Philip...

I just replied and said I wasn't available. I doubt they'll spend any more time on me, and just look for other fish.

If they contact me again, I'll forward it to ReScam--it's a site that uses bots to pretend it's me and just tie them up with phony interest. I've used it about a dozen times. It's always seemed to do the job.

On 8/4/2018 at 11:15 AM, Johnny Karlsson said:

Forward the email to phishing-report@us-cert.gov

Agreed, best thing you can do.

I am not sure all of the cases will lead to prosecution but the operational intelligence they gather will be very useful to fight this kind of crime.

Moreover, I am the security officer at an ISP and I was contacted once by the security services of another country who were indeed investigating a comparable scam (in this case the inheritance scam from a fake lawyer). Finally I helped them a bit.