RF Venue 4 Zone 12v

Matt Bacon AMPS

On 8/9/2018 at 12:35 AM, Matt Bacon AMPS said:

I asked them last year about the possibility and I'm aware of a prototype existing so it is possible. Sadly they have told me there are no plans for this to happen as they are working on other products. Very short sighted in my opinion. I think they'd sell rather well.

there is a tech type in my market that converted one 4zone.  will look into it when i don’t need mine for awhile

• 1 year later...

Old thread I know but, I just took the 4 Zone apart and measured the voltage from the power supply. It’s 12vdc so what’s up with that? It’s reading 12.1 or so .  Put a diode in line from your cart power to shave off a bit but it seems like it should work. I mean, it is a dc circuit coming off a standard 12v supply.

larry

2 hours ago, larry long said:

Old thread I know but, I just took the 4 Zone apart and measured the voltage from the power supply. It’s 12vdc so what’s up with that? It’s reading 12.1 or so .  Put a diode in line from your cart power to shave off a bit but it seems like it should work. I mean, it is a dc circuit coming off a standard 12v supply.

larry

Hi Larry,

A low drop out 12 VDC power regulator will deliver a regulated 12 Volts (if your external battery is 14.6 or 16 Volts DC) and will still deliver 12 Volts if your external battery is only slightly more than 12 Volts (12.2 Volts for instance). Plus, just about all low dropout IC's have a regulated max current limit. This will keep incidents of heavy smoke from occurring from inside your device. I know you checked the power supply in the 4 Zone but make sure there isn't a second supply for negative voltage or a different voltage. If it truly only needs 12 Volts, it should be a simple conversion. The output connection to the original supply should be interrupted by a switch when using an external 12 Volt supply so as not to force current backwards through the original supply. Most times it won't hurt anything but sometimes it leads to the previously mentioned smoke.

A diode will give you a voltage drop but the voltage will go up and down with the battery voltage and you have no current protection. I'm sure there are some small 12 Volt low drop out regulators on the web.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher 

• 8 months later...