Johnny Karlsson

Comtek BST-25/216 on battery power?

What are you using out there for battery power with the base station?

I've only used it with AC, but would be good to have an option handy at times when this is not a viable solution.

The manual states "Power Requirements: 12 Volts DC, 300 mA max". It's not clear to me if this 12v requirement is such that one would need a regulator keeping it at precisely 12v when using a NP-L7S with a cup-to-4-pin XLRF, such as the one from PSC:

http://www.locationsound.com/psc-fpscpsm-np1-4pxlrf-np-1-battery-cup-with-4-pin-female-xlr-3576

Anyone with experience doing this, please let us know. Thanks.

I ran my Comtek Base Station on the cart using my cart power supply for years and years. The power supply that I built is not regulated when on batteries alone but is regulated (nominal 13.5 vdc) when on AC. I never had any problems but it certainly isn't proof of what voltage variable/range is the actual specification. A more detailed spec would be helpful (like "Ext. DC 9 to 14 vdc") which most manufacturers publish. 

I have used a ton of various 12 volt batteries on my BST 25/50s...  Never a problem...  Plug in a 4pin cable into any one of my belt or block batteries and off it goes..   Sorry on the no spec info Johnny, it just works..

If the heat and wildfires haven't knocked out the phone service in So.Cal., may I recommend you call and ask Comtek's tech department.  I've typically found them booth forthcoming and helpful, and the odds are pretty high they'd know more about it than most anyone. 

It's doubtful you need external voltage regulation, but it would be nice to know what Comtek specs as the allowable voltage range. 

However, it's pro gear designed to play nicely with other pro gear, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Thanks guys, much appreciated! 

JW, I agree - most manufacturers spec a range, and this is why it got me a little concerned.

Yes JB, I will try calling them when I get a chance, to get their perspective and actual specs. I've also had nothing but a great experience calling Comtek in the past.

It's great to hear first hand experience from the field though. Everyone here knows what a NP-L7S is, and that it can spit out upwards of 16v when fresh off the charger, then hovers in the 14.x range...

Johnny,

i have smoked a BST-25-216 by using a hot-off-the-charger Hytron (easily 16V). Comtek said that was too high voltage. I put a 12V regulator in the battery plate, and all was good. 

Ben

1 hour ago, ben lowry said:

Johnny,

i have smoked a BST-25-216 by using a hot-off-the-charger Hytron (easily 16V). Comtek said that was too high voltage. I put a 12V regulator in the battery plate, and all was good. 

Ben

Whoa! Good to know. Thanks Ben. May I ask what regulator you use now?

From Comtek Tech Support email:

"Unfortunately, there is not an acceptable voltage range, and putting 16 volts into the unit does risk damaging it. It would be best to use a regulator to keep the power at 12 volts".

A trick I learned from Ron Meyer.. put a diode in line inside the XLR to knock the voltage down a volt or so.