3d printed XLR caps, RX mount, and mic cases

Allen Rowand

Decided to make some proper right angle short XLRs for my bag; I previously had just cut the dust boot off the Neutriks, which shaved about half an inch but was pretty ugly. After a couple design iterations I came up with this:

IMG_20180812_151337.jpg

It's a pretty good friction fit, and the inner part of the plug keeps the connector in place in the shell. They fit really well in my bag:

IMG_20180812_172323.jpg

I made two versions to dress the cable for right or left exit. The plug is also keyed to the shell so it won't rotate.

Whipped up a riser to get my receiver out of the bag so I can see the display. I also printed the camera mount attached to the RX.

IMG_20180812_172735.jpg

IMG_20180812_172752.jpg

Finally, I found a mic case someone designed and modified it to fit my preamps and capsules. Much easier to throw the mics in my bag now.

IMG_20180812_173513.jpg

I used some of that rubbery expanded foam shelf liner inside the mic cases to cushion the devices.

Hi Ilari,

I've put a small ziptie on the cable inside the cap.

Yes, the plugs are just pushed in for now. I incorporated some ridges into the design to increase the friction:

Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 9.44.15 AM.png

If I have any issues with them coming out I could glue them, but so far they stay in place unless I'm specifically trying to remove them.

You're all welcome! I put some notes in the Thingiverse description, but it's a simple print and should just work. The only concern would be if you're working in extremely high temperatures, then you might want to make them out of PETG. ABS might require design tweaks, since the plastic tends to shrink as it cools. I don't have PETG at the moment or a good setup for ABS, so PLA it is.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Allen,

Finally had time to visit your low-profile XLR design page - very cool. Thanks for your generosity - very kind :-))

Our local library has 3D printers so your design will be my first experience with the process - should be fun!

Your Sennheiser G3 riser looks very handy too - can't quite see how you've rigged it. How does it sit up upright in your bag?

Cheers and All the Best From Ontario, Canada.

Dave

1 hour ago, Dave said:

Hi Allen,

Finally had time to visit your low-profile XLR design page - very cool. Thanks for your generosity - very kind :-))

Our local library has 3D printers so your design will be my first experience with the process - should be fun!

Your Sennheiser G3 riser looks very handy too - can't quite see how you've rigged it. How does it sit up upright in your bag?

Cheers and All the Best From Ontario, Canada.

Dave

Excellent, I hope they work out for you!

Re: the riser:

Sennriser.jpg

The upside down "U" bit by my thumb goes into the elastic band in the bag, the long part goes between the divider and elastic. The other bit by the cold shoe is held in place by a strip of Velcro one wrap that I put in the bag- you can see it in the third photo of my original post. It's ok for stationary work but wouldn't be stable enough if you use a harness. I might redesign it to by wider and hold two units.

Hi Allen,

Thanks for showing your G3 mount - very inventive. I like the back angle so the G3 screen is easily view-able.  You've got a knack for product design for sure!

I noticed some lav mounts on the thingiverse site ..... going to check if they have any for DPA lavs. 

Keep well Allen,

Cheers,

Dave