Rates, rates, rates

truelife

I'm sure this has been talked about ad nauseam here, but I'm hitting a boiling point at understanding how ENG mixers doing doc/tv work are accepting rates of $500 for themselves and gear. I'm being asked to mix a major brand road trip spot that is branded doc content for a week on the road, with 3 x wireless, 633, boom, hops etc for $500 (meals paid, but no per diem). The producer has mentioned that mixers in LA, the Midwest and Northeast are accepting rates of $500 for themselves with package (no travel days paid).

Does this seem logical? Am I confused? Sorry for the rant, but I feel like I'm in the upside down parts of Inception.

Do you know of Mack Dawg Productions? ( TrueLife, Resistance, Technical Difficulties)

That's a negative ghost rider. Don't do any of that stuff. You are hurting the mixing collective. It's not your job to accept less money because some random weekend warrior wants to get in on the action and will accept less than market rates. 

What did he say about a COI? Thats usually my go/no go on a job. 

Let him cobble together different mixers from the great planes to the Atlantic. Never go down, always up. 

1 hour ago, Dalton Patterson said:

Do you know of Mack Dawg Productions? ( TrueLife, Resistance, Technical Difficulties)

Really...these guys are the ones asking for these low ball rates? I used to love watching their snowboarding vids..great stuff. But those rates are shit. Walk away is all you can do. 

1 minute ago, EnotsMedia said:

these guys are the ones asking for these low ball rates?

no, I was just thinking/wondering that was where he got his screen name from. 

2 minutes ago, EnotsMedia said:

But those rates are shit.

+1

1 hour ago, Eric Toline said:

Everyone's financial situation is different. For most $500 a day all is a non starter for others it in can be a life saver.

+1, I feel this

3 minutes ago, EnotsMedia said:

I used to love watching their snowboarding vids..great stuff.

Agreed 100%

Don't forget, most of the time producers playing "mind games" with rates. They want cheap, says "LA Mixers" (do a list mister) accept those rates. Maybe it's true, maybe it's false. One thing is sure: They want cheap most of the time, so they are gambling.

I have been told the "In LA mixers go for $XXX" many times.  While I know it's not true the way the producer says it, LA is a big pond, and it's much easier to find people who need both experience and money so are will to compromise on rate.  In smaller markets I believe we have an advantage because there is less competition, we can work together and keep our rates in line.  However, I find it not worth putting any effort into people who can't negotiate at least close to my rate.  I don't get mad, I don't try to change who they are, I simply state what I charge and spend my time focusing on the clients I prefer to work with.

When a producer I don't know tells me that "LA" (or NY or wherever) rates are "X" my first thought is how the fuck do you know?  You mean that's what you WISH they were, you mean that's what you got a couple of newbs or maybe a soundie who is also your skateboarding bro to work for on something you did, but that doesn't mean that is The Rate In LA or wherever he is.    Someone's budget for sound or anything else is just what they decided it is, they can decide to change it.  Many productions are seriously underfunded.  I'm sorry about that, but I won't be helping them get more funding by underfunding myself, so to speak.   There are desperate people (have been one I admit), there are newbie people (ditto) and there are opportunists.  Don't be one of the latter.

As an LA mixer, I would not go out for $500 for me alone, forget about the gear...

I strongly feel that anybody that does do this on a normal basis (we all have long time clients that pay very well but sometimes will ask a favor) is killing our industry job by job....   This is exactly why we find ourselves even talking about this... AGAIN!!

You would be responsible for the decline in our rates and the destruction of the same industry you are trying to be a part of...   just plain stupid, selfish and self serving.   

Just now, afewmoreyears said:

You would be responsible for the decline in our rates and the destruction of the same industry you are trying to be a part of...   just plain stupid, selfish and self serving.   

AGREED. This is what eats at me- is that it seems that the rates get lower and lower and folks keep biting. 

11 minutes ago, truelife said:

AGREED. This is what eats at me- is that it seems that the rates get lower and lower and folks keep biting. 

For the life of me, and I have said this a hundred times.... why is it that plumbers and electricians you call to repair a problem at home can all be in lock step, or super close price wise to each other, fighting to hold the line...and our industry is filled with desperate self serving fools. 

Try it and see... call 5 plumbers, they are all almost the same price.. and, a good hourly to boot.. Us?... we look like a bunch of absolute idiots fighting over scraps.. killing each other.