lectrosonics SMQV powering off unexpectedly

Phantompwr

I just wanted to see if anyone here has experienced this before. I have a lectrosonics SMQV with the white face, I think it's about three years old. I did the battery door replacement on it a while ago after having some issues, and hadn't had any problems until today.

I had the transmitter mounted in a neopax pouch just below the actors knee, and she had to run in the take. Almost every time she did the short run the pack would power off, and a couple times when I tried to power it back on the display would flash a few times, if I opened the battery door and closed it again it would power right back up. I tried fresh batteries even though it was only an hour or so into shooting, but that didn't help.

I eventually got the issue to stop by moving the strap up above her knee, but I'm nervous about what the underlying cause was.

I was unable to reproduce the problem by pushing on the transmitter in various ways, but I didn't have a lot of time to play with it on set. I talked to my salesman at Gotham Sound and he didn't have any ideas without getting it in to the shop, which I can't do right now.

Anybody have something like this happen to them, and/or know what this might be?

3 hours ago, Constantin said:

I haven’t had this happen to me, but often these issues seem to be resolved by putting a drop of silver paste on the contact of the battery door. Don’t just buy any paste, Lectro will send you the right one or maybe Gotham may have some 

I was already planning on getting some, so I guess that's the plan.

I have been having the same problem with some older SM type transmitters.  One has already been back to Lectro and repaired.  The others have the same problem.  If I screw the battery door down firmly the xmitter shuts off, back off on the threads a bit it will work.  Downside is it's easy to be bumped and loose power.  Additionally the battery drain goes up.  Silver paste is no help here.

I spoke with technical support at Lectro and learned the problem is in the "plus" contact inside the battery compartment.  That contact is supported in some kind of rubber grommet.  As it ages, it no longer holds the contact in place.  It then presses into the case and touches something it shouldn't.

From having the radio apart, it is not an easy user fix, plus I don't have those parts needed.  I have already sent one back for repairs and have it in hand now.  Works like a new one.

I would say send your's into Lectro for repair.  Repair time I was told is running about three weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2018 at 9:44 AM, drpro said:

I have been having the same problem with some older SM type transmitters.  One has already been back to Lectro and repaired.  The others have the same problem.  If I screw the battery door down firmly the xmitter shuts off, back off on the threads a bit it will work.  Downside is it's easy to be bumped and loose power.  Additionally the battery drain goes up.  Silver paste is no help here.

I spoke with technical support at Lectro and learned the problem is in the "plus" contact inside the battery compartment.  That contact is supported in some kind of rubber grommet.  As it ages, it no longer holds the contact in place.  It then presses into the case and touches something it shouldn't.

From having the radio apart, it is not an easy user fix, plus I don't have those parts needed.  I have already sent one back for repairs and have it in hand now.  Works like a new one.

I would say send your's into Lectro for repair.  Repair time I was told is running about three weeks.

that sounds like it might be my issue. I put some silver paste on the screw and I thought it helped, I haven't had the same issue except one time the pack didn't wake up from being asleep and I found it was powered off. How old was your transmitter that had the issue? How much did it cost for the repair?

Not sure of the age, the serial number is in the three digit range.  Being just a SM it has to be an early one.  In addition to fixing the power problem, a new antenna and pushbutton assembly was included.  All of this for $213.  I suspect without the additional items the cost would have been in the mid $100, since they have a minimum shop rate.

Second one is in for repairs, hopefully a bit less, because I have a third that needs it also.  Best guess for all three $500 range.

YMMV