Favorite Slate

manuelchk

19 hours ago, Shastapete said:

And one more addendum, I don't offer a discount off the bat. But if there is negotiation, it is something that I'll be willing to commit to without much pushing... again as long as the rest of the rate is reasonable. For instance, if their equipment needs are $550/day but they say they only have $400/day for gear ($2000/week) I would say "Since the gig is X weeks long, I'd be willing to offer 4 day weeks - where the equipment rental is free on the 5th day" If they say yes to this, I still talked them up $200/week on their rate, and built in protections where if the last week runs short, they won't get a prorated discount.

very nice. yes, good to know don't be throwin' out freebies to start! 

On 9/3/2018 at 12:00 PM, TomBoisseau said:

Has Denecke stopped making the TS-TCB?  At least one site says it's "discontinued", and another site says "limited quantities remaining". 

I'm growing increasingly interested in the Timecode Systems line, especially the Ultrasync One (although I do wish they had chosen a different connector).  For my purposes I think the TS-TCB, the Ultrasync One and the ":pulse" would make a great system!

To this point: YES. They have discontinued this product. 

I recently emailed Timecode Systems about some compatibility stuff, and they disclosed that there is limited stock remaining. I then emailed Denecke to see if they are working on anything new in the near future before I go with a Betso system, but they have yet to respond... 

what do you guys think about the Betso system? not as $$$ as Ambient, not as cheap as TCS, but very innovative and functional it seems. 

16 hours ago, Jose Frias said:

Depends on the kind of work you do. In the non-union world, there's no scale minimum, but there's going market rates most people accept as standard. Most of us live in the $550-650/10 range for non-union non-commercial work (corporate, industrials, TV, etc). Non-union commercials around $700-800/10. Reality, is kind of a beast of its own. They typically want to pay you $550/12, but I've seen offers as low as $450/12, and a lot of them want you to use their gear. Needless to say most of the folks I know won't go for that, but there are definitely people who take up those jobs.

ah yes, I have a lot of experience in the 550-650range, but haven't done any commercial 700-800$ gigs yet, so I wouldn't even know to charge that. I assume that's excluding gear, but are you using a cart setup on those shoots or it just depends? 

As far as reality, yes I know a couple companies who charge that and won't budge on the rate... 

2 hours ago, resoNate3973 said:

ah yes, I have a lot of experience in the 550-650range, but haven't done any commercial 700-800$ gigs yet, so I wouldn't even know to charge that. I assume that's excluding gear, but are you using a cart setup on those shoots or it just depends? 

As far as reality, yes I know a couple companies who charge that and won't budge on the rate... 

That is for labor only, gear is separate. Most commercials I do is with a cart setup, but some commercials, especially in the last year or so, are trying to shoot more "doc style" and want you to be more agile (in other words, bag instead of cart). Mind you, they are still try to do the whole video village with VTR and whatnot, so not sure how effective they are with their intentions...

6 hours ago, resoNate3973 said:

To this point: YES. They have discontinued this product. 

I recently emailed Timecode Systems about some compatibility stuff, and they disclosed that there is limited stock remaining. I then emailed Denecke to see if they are working on anything new in the near future before I go with a Betso system, but they have yet to respond... 

I would definitely wait until at least IBC. There is the possibility that TCS comes out with their own slate... but who knows?

• 2 months later...

I have the Ambient lockit slate (ACN-LS). In combination with the ACL-204 (sync boxes) everything is a dream to sync. My workflow is to jam the slate and send wireless sync from the slate to the sync boxes. Easy. It gives you a little report on the display as to how many boxes jammed successfully. No need to take the sync boxes off the cameras if there is a need to rejam. Nor do you have to find the cameras as long as the boxes are in range of the sync signal. Always double check TC, of course.  

ACs seem to like the one handed slating option, just grip the handle and clap with thumb (at least that's what I've heard).

The flashing red lights on clap (which you can turn off) has helped some of my clients sync when there is no TC available to camera. 

However, It doesn't stand up on it's side like the the Deneke TS-C (if that's a pro).

It does't glow the cool blue to make slate writing visible in the dark.